Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swisspolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a laptop for my final year at uni. I already own an iMac core 2 duo so i've got that to do all my heavy going stuff and day to day work load. But as my course is down to 9 hours a week I need something to let my do work in comfort while on campus for the other 20 or so...else I'll just come home and waste time.

I was looking an an iBook either G3 or G4 as money is a concern. Would a G3 be worth the money or not?

Just as a reference i use photoshop cs 2 on my imac and I notice it's a little bit cpu hungry sometimes, is that because it's running under rosetta or because it really is that cpu intensive? Would it run a lot slower on a G3/G4 or would I notice little difference.

I need the laptop to compile Latex documents, surf the web, play the odd video file/DVD and run iTunes nearly constantly. When i'm away a small amount of photoshop work and maintaining my website won't be out of the question.

Sorry if this post seems to ramble a bit but I'm a little lost when it comes to the non intel world of macs as i'm a recent (6 months) convert

Cheers for any help

(£250 is my budget by the way)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.