ibook help please?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by swisspolo, Sep 27, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2007

I'm looking at buying a laptop for my final year at uni. I already own an iMac core 2 duo so i've got that to do all my heavy going stuff and day to day work load. But as my course is down to 9 hours a week I need something to let my do work in comfort while on campus for the other 20 or so...else I'll just come home and waste time.

I was looking an an iBook either G3 or G4 as money is a concern. Would a G3 be worth the money or not?

Just as a reference i use photoshop cs 2 on my imac and I notice it's a little bit cpu hungry sometimes, is that because it's running under rosetta or because it really is that cpu intensive? Would it run a lot slower on a G3/G4 or would I notice little difference.

I need the laptop to compile Latex documents, surf the web, play the odd video file/DVD and run iTunes nearly constantly. When i'm away a small amount of photoshop work and maintaining my website won't be out of the question.

Sorry if this post seems to ramble a bit but I'm a little lost when it comes to the non intel world of macs as i'm a recent (6 months) convert

Cheers for any help

(£250 is my budget by the way)
  2. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  3. macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Sep 11, 2005
    St. Cloud, FL.
    Definitely go for the G4 if that is what you are in the market for.