Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Quick question. How hot should the left side palmrest on the new iBook get? Mine is getting pretty hot, especially under Virtual PC. Is this normal? My old blueberry never got this hot.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
my iBook gets pretty frickin' hot. especially when it is either plugged in or if the battery is on its last legs. it never gets too hot for comfort tho, yet i do have a high threshold.

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
Under the left side palm rest

Under the palm rest on the left side is the HD. Virtual PC accesses the HD alot and that is the reason for it being hot. I have had it uncomfortably hot before but I just put it to sleep.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
I have a fall 2001 iBook and I also run VPC, but the left palmrest (which is right over the HD) has never gotten hot, i.e. hotter than about 100F or 38C. If there is no ventilation on the left ventilation slots or the bottom (the rubber feet elevate the iBook slightly on a flat surface), this may be why your iBook is getting hot.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Mine gets pretty warm after a lot of use on the left hand side where the palm rests...but not uncomfortable...just noticeable. There are vents on the left side and at the hinge. For no fan...it cools pretty dang good. I am guessing the G3 is a cooler running processor then a G4...how warm does a Ti Book get while running intense operations?

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
G4 PowerBook

PowerBook's get hot and in some instances very very hot. I would not put it on my lap after about 1hr even if it was just textedit.

One of the reasons my laptops get so hot is the environment, Australia. That would probably be the most important factor in my laptops temperature extremes.

Ben Sheehan

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2002
You could have cooked an egg on the left palm rest of my ibook 600mhz when I took it to Thailand last year. I'm of the opinion that the new powerbooks aren't as hot. Don't get me wrong, I love the ibook, but that left palm rest got like a hotplate after a while. Hope the rumors about new powerbooks running on less power are true...

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
At home, where in my office the windows never shut and its normall freezeing cold (Here in England) my TiBook remains at a good temp but at this place I help out with the macs at called Central Publishing (http://www.centralpublishing.co.uk) the atmos is real dry and hot. The Tibook gets red hot in there.

BTW the reasons for the windows open is to keep my servers and other stuff cool not cause I want to claim insurence!

michealk

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2002
Our 2001 iBook doesn't get too warm ... at least, not uncomfortably so. My G4 Ti on the other hand is definitely *not* a "laptop" - at least, not in the summer when shorts are in season. ;)

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
my Ibook 500 gets so hot you wouldn't believe it! my girlfriend can not even stand to have it on her lap. I'm surprised there have been no fires/lawsuites! And I'm not exagerating.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I don't doubt your sincerity, but I do wonder just what temperature you think items have to reach to cause a fire... even plain, dry paper doesn't flash below 451 degrees Fahrenheit... are you suggesting your iBook gets that hot? or do you tend to store it amongst compost or oily rags?

If your iBook is genuinely reaching temperatures that are causing burns to normal, healthy adults (160-190 degrees F) I think you should be talking to Apple. To be perfectly frank, though, I doubt this is the case.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
hot

my 2001/500 gets pretty hot, but i do use it in bed a lot where it gets no ventilation.

as for fans iBooks do have them and mine is on virtually all the time, i don't know about the Ti but the old PowerBOOK G3 has one too but rarely goes on.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
This was my (only?) gripe with the iBook

I had one last Summer but I couldn't stand getting my left palm roasted. It really bothered me. On the other hand, my Mom used it too with no complaints. I guess it depends on how much you work that processor.

The Blueberry iBook I had before never got near that hot.

The PowerBook G4 550 I have now gets hot but it's focused near the power button so it's safely away from my sensitive hands. My Ti 500 did not get as not and my G3 PB 500 only got warm on the bottom. I do not like this trend...I hope the Apollo processors are cooler.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i hope the apollo processors cook the hell out of my hands..that way i can use it to make me some bar b q. multi purpose laptop....dig it!

nah man...j/k

MacLuver23

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2001
HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT

I have a Key Lime iBook (FireWire) and it can get pretty damn HOT. Especialy the power adaptor, I almost burned my self on it! Also has this happened to anyone else. My iBook got SO HOT that it started making alert noises every once and a while to tell me, i was in the other room and ignored it, but by the time I saw what was a matter. It was almost too late. I closed my iBook and shut it down. I had to take out the battery open the keyboard and cool it down with a fan. Thats what I get for leaving it on a computer chair. Its fine now but is there cooling station for the old iBooks like mine (Key Lime iBook (FireWire) Besides I will always stick with apple hot laptop or not, also I heard of PC laptops catching on FIRE!!!!!!

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT

Originally posted by MacLuver23
I have a Key Lime iBook (FireWire) and it can get pretty damn HOT. Especialy the power adaptor, I almost burned my self on it! Also has this happened to anyone else. My iBook got SO HOT that it started making alert noises every once and a while to tell me, i was in the other room and ignored it, but by the time I saw what was a matter. It was almost too late. I closed my iBook and shut it down. I had to take out the battery open the keyboard and cool it down with a fan. Thats what I get for leaving it on a computer chair. Its fine now but is there cooling station for the old iBooks like mine (Key Lime iBook (FireWire) Besides I will always stick with apple hot laptop or not, also I heard of PC laptops catching on FIRE!!!!!!

may i ask you what you were doing with your iBook to make it even go there? crap man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.