1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

ibook keyboard not working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by max¥¥, Mar 22, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

after doing a diy gpu reflow on my 800mhz ibook g3 (a success) the built in keyboard has been acting erratically or sometimes not at all

2. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you make sure to reconnect the keyboard ribbon cable completely? If so, is one of your coins shorting out the underside of the keyboard perhaps?

3. macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

does a plug-in work?

4. macrumors 6502a

the ribbon cable is plugged in propley - i checked several times
    and the coins stopped working so i did a diy reflow using a heat gun (fixed the gpu) this is when the problem started
    haven't tried that yet will try in the morning

5. macrumors 6502a

ok, i tried it with the usb keyboard of my imac g3, and the usb keyboard worked perfectly

6. macrumors 6502a

any ideas:confused:

7. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You're probably shorting something out/melted something associated with the keyboard with the heat gunning. =\

8. macrumors 6502a

any idea what:confused:

9. macrumors 68000

techound1

You could have reflowed one of the keyboard connectors on the logic board into another one. Did you use a shield when you gunned it (congrats on that working, BTW)?

10. macrumors 6502a

i used 4 layers of aluminum foil to shield it wile i re flowed it

11. macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

High five getting it fixed! My 900mhz iBook had the graphics issue and I heatgunned it and ended up killing it completely haha.

12. macrumors 6502a

i had a 900mhz aswell (only the logic board) and i killed that using a heatgun

13. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Al foil isn't exactly the best insulator...in fact is conducts very well and has a low thermal capacity. (Hence why you can grab a sheet of Al foil straight out of the oven and not burn yourself)

Chances are it didn't shield very well...

14. macrumors 6502a

i will check the logic board later (since it is open for painting:):):D)

15. macrumors 68040

California

Double check for dust in the connectors and I once used a blowdryer on a disconnected iBook G3 keyboard and it fried the thing. Not that much heat wrecked it. You may just need a new keyboard.