Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I plan on buying a new ibook 14inch as soon as they update, with maxed out ram expecting this series to have a 64 graphics card, do you think I could pull five years decent prefourmance out of it. I wont need the latest and greatest all the time but I will want programs coming out within 1-2 years after the purchase to run smoothly. I currently need it for movie/photo edditing, Recording music fairly seriously on garageband, playing Americas Army,Warcraft 3, and Halo multiplayer, Alot of music, and probably some 3d graphics desighn for the fun of it if I can find a reasonable program for macs.

Should the hypothetical ibook that should be coming out within the next couple of months be able to handle all of this or should I bite the bullet and spend more money on a 15inch powerbook which if possible I would like to avoid.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
While I rate the iBook fairly highly I think you have just described the average working day of a PowerBook.............

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Just wait for the new ibooks and they will do everythign you want them to do just fine, with the 64mb graphics card they will be able to play the game syou have listed and especially if you max out the RAM you will have no problems doing the tasks you have listed...

SHadOW :cool:

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
I agree with stevep. You have, effectively, told us that you're looking for the power of a PB in a cheaper form.

But I won't deter your hopes. A friend of mine uses Final Cut Pro daily for HD video and he has a 1.2GHz iBook with maxed RAM. He says that it gets the job done and has never griped about its performance. Additionally, I just ordered an iBook for my father (already have 1 Crucial 1 GB stick of RAM ready for it) and he wants to use GarageBand regularly. I have no doubts that his future iBook will be perform just as well as he hopes.

Don't underestimate the iBook's processor. The current G4 processors are still packing tremendous power and should certainly last four or five years of useful (non-frustrating) life. I would be patient for an iBook update, though, since you are specifically looking for a more powerful video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.