Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
just got back to the states from the UK. while there, i recharged my ibook using the supplied power adapter and the UK plug from apple. aside from faster than normal battery drainage, everything worked fine.

now i'm back to 110v and the ibook isn't recharging. the symptoms:
- the orange/green charge light doesn't come on
- the power adapter does not get warm
- the battery does not charge

has this happened to anyone else? i suspect (and hope) it's just the power supply itself. the ibook seems to work fine, but i'm nearly out of battery.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
zimv20 said:
just got back to the states from the UK. while there, i recharged my ibook using the supplied power adapter and the UK plug from apple. aside from faster than normal battery drainage, everything worked fine.

now i'm back to 110v and the ibook isn't recharging. the symptoms:
- the orange/green charge light doesn't come on
- the power adapter does not get warm
- the battery does not charge

has this happened to anyone else? i suspect (and hope) it's just the power supply itself. the ibook seems to work fine, but i'm nearly out of battery.

Hrmmm....

Do you have/can you get ahold of a spare charger - or order one? You can go to the Apple store and see if one of theirs works. ;)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'll order a new power adapter if that is indeed the issue. hate to do it just for a test. suppose i'll head over to microcenter w/ my ibook to try out one of theirs.

i hate this, though, it's supposed to work. must i really count on a power adapter crapping out everytime i travel? argh.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
zimv20 said:
i'll order a new power adapter if that is indeed the issue. hate to do it just for a test. suppose i'll head over to microcenter w/ my ibook to try out one of theirs.

i hate this, though, it's supposed to work. must i really count on a power adapter crapping out every time i travel? argh.

I think that you are very wise taking the iBook to MicroCenter. No reason to waste money. If it's an older iBook, it could also be the battery is faulty. My wife has had many of the power Adapters go bad on her PowerBook. If you have AppleCare in force, it will be replaced for free.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i probably didn't title the thread very well. the battery works, in that i could charge it in the UK and it's holding a charge even now.

it's when i plug in the power adapter that i see a problem -- no recharging light, no warm power adapter.

i popped out the battery and tried starting the ibook w/ the adapter plugged in and nothing happened. so it's either the adapter or whatever the adapter plugs into (yikes).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
took my power adapter to microcenter today. though it wasn't able to power the ibook there, i don't know how much that means because my adapter is 45w and the newer ibooks (i've got a g3/800) use a 65w adapter.

so -- i ordered a 45w one from apple for $72.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
my iBook g3's power adapter up and died on me once.

so I went to the apple store, and I picked up a kensington air/ac/car adapter.

OPEN!!

for $45.

Then, my brother stepped on the tip (the iBook is on "permanent loan" to him. I will be collecting money so I can go to VIENNA!! WOOO! ...sorry. I'll stop cheering) and the tip is DEAD! I can't find it for sale anywhere.

So, we got the real Apple adapter with his EDU discount.

You can get a $99 power adapter for $45 if you ask if it's opened. It works perfectly, until your brother steps on the tip. Then, you get a nearly full-price apple adapter, because the store doesn't have any open ones!

The moral:
Demand your battery charger back before you give it to your brother. (I DID, and it was NO DICE! when it was stepped on, I loudly reminded my mother of this fact. Grr.)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
zimv20 said:
took my power adapter to microcenter today. though it wasn't able to power the ibook there, i don't know how much that means because my adapter is 45w and the newer ibooks (i've got a g3/800) use a 65w adapter.

so -- i ordered a 45w one from apple for $72.

actually, if you can still cancel that order, you can use a 65w on your g3 iBook perfectly.

edit: *psst* If you can go to an apple store, ask if they have an open one for cheap.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
katie ta achoo said:
actually, if you can still cancel that order, you can use a 65w on your g3 iBook perfectly.
i have one, actually, still unopened, that i got yesterday at microcenter. but it's $90 + tax, so i'm going to return it.

your other tip, resolving it via my brother, is crap, because i don't have a brother. I DON'T HAVE A BROTHER.

:)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
btw, katie, as long as you're going to vienna, take time to see budapest. it's an amazing city. (so's vienna, but i like budapest better)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
zimv20 said:
btw, katie, as long as you're going to vienna, take time to see budapest. it's an amazing city. (so's vienna, but i like budapest better)

Won't be able to. :(
I'm going with a big group; can't stray.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
zimv20 said:
boooooo!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

hey, but I DO get to perform in a huge cathedral and opera halls. It's gonna be NUTS!!! I need like.. a billion SD cards for all the pics I'll be taking.

PERFORMING IN 300-YEAR OLD CATHEDRALS! Oh, the acoustics!! :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.