Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selloutvixen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Connecticut, USA
I'm going to be in the market for a new Mac soon. I'm moving out of state and must return my borrowed windows machine.

I've been debating over an iMac and an iBook (12") for a few months now, and continue to be undecided. Here's my POV:

iBook
pros: portable, airport built-in, looks nice, cheaper
cons: slower

iMac
pros: faster, bigger screen, G5
cons: I HATE HOW IT LOOKS, not portable, no built-in airport, more expensive

Please help sway me! :eek:

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Do you need the portability? If you NEED it, I'd get the iBook or maybe even the PB for the Superdrive.

For only $200 more you can get a 17" iMac with a faster/more efficient G5, nice screen, mouse, keyboard, etc. And it does come with airport. Better graphics card and VRAM, better base ram, FASTER...

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
selloutvixen said:
I'm going to be in the market for a new Mac soon. I'm moving out of state and must return my borrowed windows machine.

I've been debating over an iMac and an iBook (12") for a few months now, and continue to be undecided. Here's my POV:

iBook
pros: portable, airport built-in, looks nice, cheaper
cons: slower

iMac
pros: faster, bigger screen, G5
cons: I HATE HOW IT LOOKS, not portable, no built-in airport, more expensive

Please help sway me! :eek:

I disagree on the looks of the iBook. In my opinion the Powerbook is a much better looking mahcine. Anyways, I just a question of whether you need the portability or not. There are a lot of threads with people contemplating the same thing. It's a tough question. I got a Powerbook because I thought I would need the portability, but I don't. Now I wish I had a Dual 2.0 Power Mac ...

selloutvixen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Connecticut, USA
macbaseball said:
I disagree on the looks of the iBook. In my opinion the Powerbook is a much better looking mahcine. Anyways, I just a question of whether you need the portability or not. There are a lot of threads with people contemplating the same thing. It's a tough question. I got a Powerbook because I thought I would need the portability, but I don't. Now I wish I had a Dual 2.0 Power Mac ...

I agree that the Powerbook looks a lot better than the iBook, but I don't really NEED a lot of power.. specifically about 500 bucks worth more power. I had a laptop before this windows machine, and didn't really use the portability option because the thing was HUGE. I think if it was more compact like the 12" iBook, I'd tote it around more.

selloutvixen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Connecticut, USA
finalcoolman said:
Umm the new rev B iMacs now have Airport Extreme and Bluetooth on the base models

My mistake, you're right about the Airport. It's not listed on the specs at the top of the page, but it's listed near the bottom. (unlike the iBook) The Bluetooth is cool, but of NO use to me. I don't have bluetooth on my phone, and I don't plan on it. I'm all set with wireless mouses and keyboards.

indigoblu

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Do you need portability? Can you work on a 12" screen? or 14"?

Go to an Apple store and try them out. Avoid CompUSA because the books are locked down and you can't pick them up. Apple stores (most at least), you can pick the books up, close them and really get a feel for what carry one will be like. They are very portable which is a great feature. I had one I could throw in my backpack and be on my way.

But if you need or want power go with iMac. For not much more money you get a LOT of great features and power. I personally love the current iMacs, but it's a personal choice. They may redesign them in a year, though I doubt. What software will you be running? Since you asked about Airport and Bluetooth, I'm assuming you need those for a specific purpose - probably portability - which would make the iBook the choice. But if you want those features just because they are neat features, maybe iMac is better.

It's a personal choice, take your time - try them out. Be specific with your needs and wants. Spending extra money can be worth it if you have it and really want it. You will pay a lot for a Book model!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I've just placed an order for a new iMac and I already have an iBook. I'm pretty sure I'll still use the iBook more simply because I hate doing work in the same spot every time. I love the fact the iBook is so mobile.

However, I might find the added performance changes things... Who knows? At this stage, I recommend the iBook though.

Rootman

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Miami
selloutvixen said:
The Bluetooth is cool, but of NO use to me. I don't have bluetooth on my phone, and I don't plan on it. I'm all set with wireless mouses and keyboards.
Am I wrong, or don't you need Bluetooth for wireless keyboards and mice?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Rootman said:
Am I wrong, or don't you need Bluetooth for wireless keyboards and mice?

Yeah, that's what i thought too. I can't imagine there are any 802.11x wireless keyboards yet. Unless he meant he's already got a USB dongle or something?

Cheese

macrumors 6502
(**WARNING** reply contains whine!!) Get da iMac!. I shoulda waited, but I couldn't. I have made a major mistake by not waiting, and I don't know how to keep from feeling ripped off, but I digress. The new iMac is the bomb, with twice the storage, twice the ram, twice the video card, 200mhz more processor, wireless, bluetooth, and throw in Tiger to make it everything I was hoping to make my 45 day old iMac into, but probably never will find the cash to do. To deepen my angst, a computer similar to my beloved 45 day wonder can be purchased from Apple, refurb for $400 less than I shelled out. I am a very poor guy and I have been saving for a new iMac for at least 3 years, so this hurts. But, I would recommend anyone thinking of a new iMac to buy now while the machines are hot and the OS is new! Probably not the best person to take advice from given my recently "bad" purchase, but perhaps others can learn from my mistakes. I REALLY will alway, always, always heed the advice in the MR buyers guide from now on. Any ideas about how to recover some of my dignity will be appreciated... I am currently undergoing a massive intraveinous experiment using a large vat of Guinness, so I will need ideas that are more realistic, if there are any other solutions...

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Cheese said:
(**WARNING** reply contains whine!!) Get da iMac!. I shoulda waited, but I couldn't. I have made a major mistake by not waiting, and I don't know how to keep from feeling ripped off, but I digress. The new iMac is the bomb, with twice the storage, twice the ram, twice the video card, 200mhz more processor, wireless, bluetooth, and throw in Tiger to make it everything I was hoping to make my 45 day old iMac into, but probably never will find the cash to do. To deepen my angst, a computer similar to my beloved 45 day wonder can be purchased from Apple, refurb for $400 less than I shelled out. I am a very poor guy and I have been saving for a new iMac for at least 3 years, so this hurts. But, I would recommend anyone thinking of a new iMac to buy now while the machines are hot and the OS is new! Probably not the best person to take advice from given my recently "bad" purchase, but perhaps others can learn from my mistakes. I REALLY will alway, always, always heed the advice in the MR buyers guide from now on. Any ideas about how to recover some of my dignity will be appreciated... I am currently undergoing a massive intraveinous experiment using a large vat of Guinness, so I will need ideas that are more realistic, if there are any other solutions...

Hey, dude, at least look on the bright side, that "old-new" iMac will still have your old iMac DV for lunch and desert! I had the same issue buying mine in Feb, I did get the 1.8Ghz processor though, so I am still in the game on the CPU with the base model. Who knows if the 9600 is going to be a heck of a lot faster then the 5200 Ultra on day to day tasks, probably not a huge difference. When you say twice the video card I hope you mean the just the video memory because the 9600 and 5200 Ultra have the same clock speed and actually bench pretty close for performance. The 128MB graphics memory will help, no doubt about that, but they are still selling "pro" Powerbooks with 64MB cards, and last, HD's are pretty easily upgradable, and if you don't want want to tear it apart, just get a Firewire drive for all your additional storage needs! I am just trying to help you feel better about your purchase, because it was a good purchase and there are plenty of satisfied Rev. A buyers just like me out there.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I have an iBook and would say that unless you really would make good use of the portability go for the iMac. After seeing the new updates I am getting tempted to get one myself. The iMac is sooo much better equipped.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
mad jew said:
I've just placed an order for a new iMac and I already have an iBook. I'm pretty sure I'll still use the iBook more simply because I hate doing work in the same spot every time. I love the fact the iBook is so mobile.
Totally agree with that.
However, I might find the added performance changes things... Who knows? At this stage, I recommend the iBook though.
On the other hand I'd recommend the iMac because of the raw power. But as aethetics are very important for the user interface and the iMac dont get ya going, then iBook is the way forward.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
only you can decide how important the portibility factor is for you

personally i can be tied to a desk if i have to be, just need a comfy chair then...

i would get the iMac if i was in your position, they just receieved some great updates that make them well worth the money, plus i have a 12" powerbook and there are times where i crave more power and more screen space over porability. i would go for the iMac all the way the looks will probably grow on you too, its an amazing maching to see in person and play around with

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have an ibook 12", and I bring it with me all over the place.
It´s small and sturdy. The Airport card makes of much greater use in an ibook than an imac IMHO.
Almost everywhere I go, when I open my ibook, I´m online. (people are not very good at password protecting their networks yet).
I love the portabillity, and it´s powerfull enough for most common tasks. It´s only when I use FCP that i wish for something faster, and that´s why I might get the new imac.
BUT, I´m very glad I did it this way around, ibook first, then imac IF you feel you need the power later.
Good luck

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Get a 17" iMac and a 12" iBook after it is updated (hopefully WWDC the latest). I have a iBook and love the portability. I never thought I would go back to a desktop, but after seeing the iMac update I am tempted. A base 17" iMac is a great value.

lasuther

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Why not both? You can get a rev A iMac G5 AND a 12" iBook for just a few hundred more than the cost of the 20" rev B iMac.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Obviously the imac will run circles around the ibook in performance. However, these days, no apps beyond games and heavy-duty video editing tax even the ibook. I will never get another desktop for home use-- a laptop changes how you think about your computer and how you think about your home-- you dont need a "computer desk" or "computer room" anymore. That's why I'd get the ibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.