Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onebloodonelife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I'm basically looking for a laptop to throw in my bag and take notes on during class, so my Macbook can stay at home. (I know, I know, it defeats the purpose of having a laptop, but the Macbook needs to stay alive for at least 3, if not 4 years.)

So, my question is: What kind of specs should I be looking for to run Word processing well? (MHz and RAM especially, HD space doesn't matter so much and neither does Airport card).

jat543

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
HA! i just did the same thing because i didnt want to lug around my mbp so it could survive longer. I went on ebay and found an old 12 inch powerbook. its got 1.5 ghz and 1.25 ram, runs leopard, does everything i need it to, small form factor as well

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I'm basically looking for a laptop to throw in my bag and take notes on during class, so my Macbook can stay at home. (I know, I know, it defeats the purpose of having a laptop, but the Macbook needs to stay alive for at least 3, if not 4 years.)

So, my question is: What kind of specs should I be looking for to run Word processing well? (MHz and RAM especially, HD space doesn't matter so much and neither does Airport card).

You can do everything you're looking for with a G3 iBook. I used an 800mhz G3 12" as my *sole* computer for a few weeks in college before I got my Macbook, and it was great. Took it to class every day. 5 hour battery life. Portable, zippy, great for Word, surfing, etc. You can find them for under $300 online. Even now, with my Macbook, I think of it fondly. It was a great "take anywhere, do anything"-computer. Mine was maxed out with 640mb of ram and Tiger, but if you don't mind running Panther, you can get by with less.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Umm...if you go G3 make sure it has atleast 900MHz for the iBook and full RAM which I think is 1GB.

I would aim for a nice PowerBook G4. Great machines and about the same price as a G4 iBook.

Designer1

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
I just bought an old 12" Powerbook off of EBay for similar reasons. I wanted something I could safely travel with (think airport security:rolleyes:) that would also be fast enough to do some basic web design on the fly. I LOVE my MBP but I do worry about something happening to it.

The 12" Powerbooks and iBooks are wonderfully portable without costing an arm and a leg. Some of the older models are also pretty cheap. My PB is an 867mhz G4 with 1GB of RAM and cost me $400. Similar iBooks go for cheaper than that. If you just want it for word processing then I wouldn't worry overly much about speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.