Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Not a big issue but a very annoying one. They eject key on my iBook is no longer ejecting cds. I know its not a hardware problem because the key will work fine when I use it for F12. Any ideas?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
AoWolf said:
Not a big issue but a very annoying one. They eject key on my iBook is no longer ejecting cds. I know its not a hardware problem because the key will work fine when I use it for F12. Any ideas?

Do you have the "Use F1-F12 keys for custom actions" option in keyboard preferences checked or unchecked?

rccola70

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2004
California
Whoa man...I just put a CD in my iBook and the eject key doesn't respond either...I think it was the update (10.3.9)...the "Use F11 and F12 for custom function" box is unchecked, and I held F12 for at least 10 seconds...

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
My PB Pismo (older that any iBook apart from the first "clamshell") still works.
Replacing the actual drive it ejects was a different matter... :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
rccola70 said:
Whoa man...I just put a CD in my iBook and the eject key doesn't respond either...I think it was the update (10.3.9)...the "Use F11 and F12 for custom function" box is unchecked, and I held F12 for at least 10 seconds...

Whoa! :eek: I *know* my iBook used to eject CDs with F12 properly, but now (10.3.9) mine isn't working either.... weirdness! :eek: :eek: :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I found two threads on other forums with Google, in which people had this same experience upgrading to 10.3.8 -- (un de les deux était en francais!). Several people said that a solution appears to be:

-Shut down completely.
-Restart
-Repair permissions
-Shut down completely
-Restart

I hate restarting...wonder if I should just leave it till Tiger? :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Rocksaurus said:
Can you right click, erm, uh, control click the cd and eject it that way?

Yes. Ejecting by dragging it to the dock's eject icon also works. Just not the key. I haven't gotten around to trying the restart/repair/restart thing, but it looks like the issue might be permissions failing to allow some kernel extension or whatever to load on boot, causing this feature to fail?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You can also bring up the built-in eject menu bar item... it's "hiding" in /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ but just double-click Eject.menu and it apperars in your menu bar. (To remove it just cmd-drag it off.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just to close this loop, repair permissions / reboot *did* solve this issue for me. In fact, I didn't even go through two cycles of it, like the forum posts I found had suggested. :)

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I also had this problem on my 14' iBook. It came right after the 10.3.9 update. A Repair permissions and shut down solved it tho.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iBunny said:
I also had this problem on my 14' iBook. It came right after the 10.3.9 update. A Repair permissions and shut down solved it tho.

Yeah, silly me, I was going for the uptime between 10.3.9 and 10.4 challenge. :D But now, the apparent incompatibility between SPSS and Tiger (and God knows when they'll fix it) has me in pause. Meh, maybe I will just eBay my copy of SPSS and switch solely to other apps.

Actually, though, come to think of it, these last few Software Updates are the only b0rking I've ever received in the Apple world. 10.3.8 had this weird bug that caused system freezes, only when I acquired a connection on my school's wireless, and only after doing system maintenance tasks and rebooting (after the lock, I'd reboot, and be fine unless I ran system maintenance again!). 10.3.9 caused this minor issue with ejecting CDs, and the iSync security update killed my copy of iSync, forcing me to go hunting through Library files and delete things until it'd run again. :rolleyes: Well, guess its time for a clean install, but its been better than my experience with most Windows installation that've been on a computer for that length of time!

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
same same

same on the 10.3.9 i-book G4 eject issue...i've also had problems when my i-book is waking from sleep...50/50 i'll get a blank screen and have to re-boot (losing any unsaved data). all since 10.3.9...what a fantastic update. maybe with an i-book G4 and tiger you won't be able to insert CDs and it'll be 50/50 whether it boots up... :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sourcemonkey said:
same on the 10.3.9 i-book G4 eject issue...i've also had problems when my i-book is waking from sleep...50/50 i'll get a blank screen and have to re-boot (losing any unsaved data). all since 10.3.9...what a fantastic update. maybe with an i-book G4 and tiger you won't be able to insert CDs and it'll be 50/50 whether it boots up... :rolleyes:

Assuming you're not upgrading to Tiger this weekend like everyone else (except Nermal, but...hehe, well, you do live in NZ!), have you tried all the usual remedies?

Repairing permissions and rebooting does seem to take care of the eject issue for most people. The blank screen thing is troubling. But you ought to start with permissions and doing all the cron tasks and stuff and rebooting.... When you reboot the computer after such a blank screen incident, does the panic.log indicate that there was a kernel panic, or no?

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
mkrishnan said:
Assuming you're not upgrading to Tiger this weekend like everyone else (except Nermal, but...hehe, well, you do live in NZ!), have you tried all the usual remedies?

Repairing permissions and rebooting does seem to take care of the eject issue for most people. The blank screen thing is troubling. But you ought to start with permissions and doing all the cron tasks and stuff and rebooting.... When you reboot the computer after such a blank screen incident, does the panic.log indicate that there was a kernel panic, or no?

thanks mkrishnan, well yes im buying tiger this week. as far as the blank screen went: after hitting a key while it was sleeping i could hear the computer running...i could hear it waking up...i could see the screen flicker...but then the screen just stayed off. to be honest i'll only worry if it continues with tiger, 'till then i've set autosave to every minute so i won't lose text data. really, 10.3.9 was a lame update in my opinion. oh, and i looked at your i-tunes songlist...the 'enjoy the silence' video is still playing in my head from the 'top of the pops' days. i could go on and on about mozzer but this isn't the place to do so... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.