iBook problems...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macaddict16, Oct 17, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 7, 2002
    I have had an iBook for almost a year and it has been in for repair twice for the exact same problem. I know other companies do this but has anyone ever heard of Apple letting you get a new product after so many repairs? It is really pissing me off because last time it took 2 weeks to get my iBook back!

2. macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
  3. macrumors member

Oct 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, eventually Apple will allow you the chance for a replacement. Its kinda sketchy to argue for a replacement after just two repairs though, even if it is a pretty major repair. Only after the logic board in my iBook 800 died for the *fourth* time did customer support gladly offer me a replacement. I bet I could have argued it at the third failure, but I was definately told by several customer support reps that two failures isnt quite enough.

Another thing to remember if they ever grant a replacement is their "paid upgrade" option. Basically, they'll credit you back for the laptop (without upgrades) and allow you the option to send them a cashier's check so you could get something else. After four logic board failures I no longer trusted the current iBook line, so I sent Apple a big, fat check to upgrade me to a 15" Powerbook. Although, from what I've heard, those are having their issues as well...

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 7, 2002
    my iBooks display has gone out twice. From what I know about laptop displays they can be pretty pricey. Thanks for the info on the paid upgrade option, just after i bought my iBook is when they releases the 12" PowerBook and I want one of those.
  5. macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    my iBook has been in three times for a bad logic board. I was told that if it happens again that I would be able to get a new one. So I guess that four is the number