Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek77

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2006
My iBook will not display anything on its screen. Rather, it just remains black. One time, the screen did come on, but then shortly after booting, it flickered a lot and then went black again. A year ago, something similiar happened and when I took it to be serviced (when I had AppleCare), they had to send it away and have a new logic board installed. Now this machine is out of warrenty and and I am not sure what to do, or even if it is the same problem. Any suggestions?? Thanks!:confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you have an external monitor with which you can test this iBook?

If not, try this: when it's turned on (but apparently dark), take it to a location where you have lots of bright light -- e.g. next to a window. Hold it up to the window so that the light is shining against the back of the screen. Can you see stuff going on onscreen -- windows or text or anything, perhaps in the center where the Apple logo cutout is on the back?

The reason for this is that there are a couple of major possibilities:

- Your backlight is bad
- Your logic board is fried again

Either way, fairly likely this is a hardware issue. :( However, the backlight issue is not so expensive to fix, typically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.