Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
my ibook still thinks that the earphones are plugged in, and therefore it won't use it's built in speakers even when i unplug the line of the earphones. i check the system preferences, and it's options are only: "headphones: built in audio." this is annoying!

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Is it possible that there's a bad connection to the speakers? It sounds like you can only hear audio through headphones... in which case, audio could in fact be being rerouted to the speakers when headphones are unplugged, but broken speakers=no sound. eh?

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
steelfist said:
my ibook still thinks that the earphones are plugged in, and therefore it won't use it's built in speakers even when i unplug the line of the earphones. i check the system preferences, and it's options are only: "headphones: built in audio." this is annoying!

Did the speakers work before? Have you always left your headphones in. Are you sure you dont have them muted?

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
i'm not that stupid! it has worked before. but now it dosen't. i checked all the sound prefs too and unmuted, and disconnected the earphones.

ShortCutMan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2005
If I remember correctly, I've seen this kind of thing happen in other devices. Basically a little switch in the headphone jack that tells the computer that headphones are plugged in is stuck. Try wiggling something in the headphone jack, or inserting in and out a headphone plug.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
mad jew said:
Maybe try resetting your PRAM too, because it's kinda fun. :p

Agreed, start the machine up with P, R, Alt & the Apple key held down (simultaneously) until you hear the startup tone twice the release any carry on booting. Does it still do it after this?

Alex Price

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Yep. My 12" PB exhibits this problem from time to time. The fix is to insert a set of headphones into the mini jack and remove them. This seems to trigger the stuck/malfunctioning sensor and switch audio output back to speakers.

Hope this works for you too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.