Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alobonzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
barcelona-spain
Hi,
I'm getting an ibookG4 in a few days.
I'll use it to record audio out of the studio, live gigs, rehearsals, choirs, etc...
I will have a desktop to mix and edit.
Please help me to decide between the two models, the portability of the 12" or the better processor and bigger screen of the 14"
thanx a lot

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i think for the uses you mentioned, processor difference won't be that much of an issue between 12 and 14 inch iBooks.

as others will undoubtedly mention, the number of pixels in 12 and 14 inch screens are the same. so you will not gain any screen real estate by going to the 14". you will still have 1024 pixels by 768 pixels. each pixel is bigger on the 14" so it will be less straining for the eye for some people.

after that, you should just weigh $$$ vs. your eyesight. (and battery life too, as i believe they are different.) i have a 12" PB with the same resolution (1024x768). couldn't be happier in regards to the portability.

edit: nevermind the battery life. apple page mentions that they are the same.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't you need the line-in on a powerbook to do the kind of high quality recording that you are talking about?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i was about to say that. maybe an iMac is involved or something?

anyway, i suggest the 12". 14" is just bigger. like someone said, same resolution which i am pissed about.

alobonzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
barcelona-spain
Hi,
I will use a motu 896 firewire audio interface for recording with the ibook.
Seems like everybody think about the 12" like the best choice.,hummmm......
Will you wait a bit for, heat issues and stuff or not?
I can wait
Thank you

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Man, if you can handle the 12" screen go for it, in my case it is a night mare. I'm working with audio too using Digital Performer and I have a 14" screen and it is about there with the size. I would never work audio in a 12". All the midi chanels, the pluging windows, the tracks.

If you can work with the 12" ok, it is not impossible but I rather get a pervious discontinued 14" iBook if you want to save some money.

Actually, in your case, I would get a $600 Pismo. You can take it to 1GB of ram, get a 60GB hard drive and upgrade the processor to a G4 500. and it will still less than $1000 and you will have a 14" screen.

In my experience, stay away from 12" if that is the use you are going to give it.

StageSetUp.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.