Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
page 2 because: not much new or solid information.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
well from the looks of it, ibooks and emacs are going to be revised soon anyways but sssswwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!!!!! PPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by machan
i'm still hoping the emac update comes soon so my parent's can get one for xmas.

same here, though i would like an update so i can purchase the current emacs as "refurbs" and at a discount... my parents don't need much of computing power, so i want to get them the cheapest usable mac...

jcook793

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I really really hope the rumor about the faster refresh rate on the displays is true. They look great to me, but getting better gaming performance would be a nice bonus.

I luckily played my cards right ordering the G5 before Panther was announced, and I'm trying to show some real constraint by waiting for updated displays....

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
I think new eMacs and IBooks will be announced in the next couple weeks, possibly by the end of October.
Not a major upgrade except USB 2.0.
It makes sense to have them ready for shopping season.
And hopeffuly current models will be available at significantly lower prices and Panther :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
the emac is a best buy in my book. at 1 gig or if they come out with a 1.25 it is a great buy. big screen,durable,good speakers built in,firewire-usb etc simply a great all in one and great starter mac. why they dont do colors is beyond me. we all know how great mac osx is. this has become a very solid machine for those on a budget.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
why they dont do colors is beyond me.

Because they learned their lesson from the iMac and don't want to sit on a warehouse full of an unpopular color while having a shortage of another.

That colored plastic iMac look is cheap to me. I Like the current polycarbonate white for consumer, alu for pro. :D

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by tutubibi
I think new eMacs and IBooks will be announced in the next couple weeks, possibly by the end of October.
Not a major upgrade except USB 2.0.
It makes sense to have them ready for shopping season.
And hopeffuly current models will be available at significantly lower prices and Panther :)
Don't forget that a new logic board chipset will also bump your FSB speed up from 100 mhz. to 167 mhz., which should be a major improvement in speed.

Plutoniq

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
Originally posted by illumin8
Don't forget that a new logic board chipset will also bump your FSB speed up from 100 mhz. to 167 mhz., which should be a major improvement in speed.

Although it might support 167mhz bus speed, it is likely that they would/could cripple it to 100mhz or 133mhz. It's like when the Powerbooks were on a 100mhz system bus, the Ibooks were set to 66mhz.......even though the hardware actually supported 100mhz. Same goes for the Titanium Powerbooks......when the 17" was first introduced, It was the only Powerbook that utilized the full 167mhz the Motorola G4 could run on....the others were "hobbled" to 133mhz.

My guess is the Ibooks will use a 133mhz system bus.....but I also think its very possible that Apple will leave it at 100mhz.

Besides that, the 1mb L2 cache running at 1.1ghz is going to do a whole lot of good for the Ibook...... I'd take 1mb of 1:1 L2 cache running on a 100mhz System bus over, say, only 512k of 1:1 L2 cache running on a faster 167mhz system Bus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.