Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Anyone seeing this feature coming into an update soon? Maybe in iOS 6 if not iOS 5.2?

Most ebooks are pdfs and I'm surprised Apple hasn't included this basic feature.
They accidently wrote once that iBooks does support highlighting/notes on PDFs but took it down shortly after (I think this was 1-2 years ago)

What do you guys think?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
If you're looking to edit/annotate PDFs in general, there's an app called PDFPen that allows all kinds of on-screen editing of PDFs. Not sure if it would work in iBooks (probably not), but it's about the best I've seen for handwriting/drawing/highlighting, etc on a PDF. It's pricey (about $10), but does more than other PDF readers I've seen.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I just went into iBooks and if you touch and hold a place on the book page, a bar appears above your touch-point giving you multiple options such as highlight (in various colors), add a note, and more.

Chelmo

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
I just went into iBooks and if you touch and hold a place on the book page, a bar appears above your touch-point giving you multiple options such as highlight (in various colors), add a note, and more.

That only works on books inside iBooks. It doesn't not work when opening PDF files with iBooks.

I agree apple should add the highlighting and note taking feature to PDFs in iBooks. You can't even use the dictionary feature on PDFs or copy paste text! A lot of 3rd party apps can do this!

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I did notice that the highlighting, etc, only works for iBooks and not PDFs in iBooks. Perhaps Apple figures if you need it, you can buy it - like having to buy iPhoto and the other iApps when they are extensions of the native OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.