iBooks PDF Annotations

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Hazyb71, Mar 19, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Anyone seeing this feature coming into an update soon? Maybe in iOS 6 if not iOS 5.2?

Most ebooks are pdfs and I'm surprised Apple hasn't included this basic feature.
    They accidently wrote once that iBooks does support highlighting/notes on PDFs but took it down shortly after (I think this was 1-2 years ago)

What do you guys think?

2. macrumors demi-god

Arelunde

If you're looking to edit/annotate PDFs in general, there's an app called PDFPen that allows all kinds of on-screen editing of PDFs. Not sure if it would work in iBooks (probably not), but it's about the best I've seen for handwriting/drawing/highlighting, etc on a PDF. It's pricey (about $10), but does more than other PDF readers I've seen.

3. macrumors demi-god

Arelunde

I just went into iBooks and if you touch and hold a place on the book page, a bar appears above your touch-point giving you multiple options such as highlight (in various colors), add a note, and more.

4. macrumors regular

That only works on books inside iBooks. It doesn't not work when opening PDF files with iBooks.

I agree apple should add the highlighting and note taking feature to PDFs in iBooks. You can't even use the dictionary feature on PDFs or copy paste text! A lot of 3rd party apps can do this!

5. macrumors demi-god

Arelunde

I did notice that the highlighting, etc, only works for iBooks and not PDFs in iBooks. Perhaps Apple figures if you need it, you can buy it - like having to buy iPhoto and the other iApps when they are extensions of the native OS.