Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Are PDFs in iBooks supposed to be backed up to the cloud? I recently had to restore my iPad from a recent iCloud backup (after stupidly deleting my entire calendar by accident, long story) and when I restored, the PDFs I had stored in my iBooks app didn't come back. It's not a horrible thing, since there weren't too many and I still have them on my iPhone and Mac, but still kind of annoying. Am I missing some obvious setting here, or are they really not included in iCloud backups? For what it's worth, iCloud does sync things like highlights and the last page read between them, so I know it recognizes they're there...

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The only way I've ever gotten iBooks PDFs to get to other devices is by selecting and syncing via iTunes. I don't think they are backed up in iCloud.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
they are not. at least i havent been able to get them to sync, always has to be done via iTunes

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
they are not. at least i havent been able to get them to sync, always has to be done via iTunes
Super annoying. I just submitted feedback about this. In addition to not backing up, it's kind of annoying that these docs are taking up local storage on my device all the time. I wish they would live in the iCloud storage I already pay for and download when I need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.