Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
XIII said:
The Eurostar is great, very fun IMO... :) 1 hr 50 something from London to Paris is pretty special. Also, Waterloo east is easy to get to.. And prices aren't too extornionate at the moment on the Eurostar. Me + family are going to Paris at the start of the Christmas holidays for a day, for just over £100.. Thats 4 people. Special deal in the Telegraph.. ;)

Overall, have a great time.. sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Thanks for making the idea of a day in Paris not sound so crazy. If I can ask, what things are you planning on seeing in Paris during your day there?

swiftaw said:
No, the $1.72 for 1 pound that you saw is what is called the 'mid-market' rate. When you exhange your dollars for pounds, or in other words when you buy pounds the rate you get will be higher than $1.72, probably somewhere in the $1.80's.

CorvusCamenarum said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned already or not, but whatever you do, do *not* use the Foreign Exchange. In short, it's a rip. If you know how much cash you're going to be needing, you'd do much better just to go to your local bank before you depart

Thanks for the tips. I knew that I should not use a credit card for cash because of the fees

As for customs, my experience the last time I went was about a 2 hour line. 500 people on the jet and only 2 customs agents. Then again, I flew into Gatwick and not Heathrow, so your experience might be different. Just make sure you have plenty of time to catch connecting transportation and you should be fine.

I know that with a three day layover on my outbound, time is not as big of in issue. On my inbound, since I will be tickets and flying on one carrier (with a change of planes in Iceland), that Iceland Air would not offered the flights as a joint option.

Another piece of advice - forget hotels and do B&Bs instead. They're a lot cheaper and generally offer a better experience. <snip>

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps.

That is what I have found out so far. Booked myself at two B&B's. The one in London is on the Piccadiily line, so easy in and out to Heathrow - and into the touristy areas of London. The Reykjavik B&B is in the Embassy Row area, so it should be nice.

And both have free wireless DSL, so I may bring my PB with me. Will save on International Phone Calls to my sister!

Thanks for all the help!

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
If you're on a budget, you can always try http://www.easyhotel.com - based in Kensington (nice area for museums and shops) and its a cheap hotel too.

The Heathrow express is nice in standard class, but hideously expensive. You can always try the slightly cheaper Heathrow Connect http://www.heathrowconnect.com service though. You might as well take the London underground though.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
geese said:
If you're on a budget, you can always try http://www.easyhotel.com - based in Kensington (nice area for museums and shops) and its a cheap hotel too.

LOL. This was one that I looked at. Seems to be a European version of the Japanese "sleeping tubes" I have heard about. The B&B sounded just a little nicer! But it was a backup if I couldn't find a decent B&B.

BTW. Looked at Tripadvisor.com. After the reports and pics on the Regent Palace in the Piccadilly Circus area that I mentioned in one of my posts above, decided that it was worth it! At least two posters came away with more than they paid for, bed bug bites!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tripadvisor has become my friend. That is how I found the great place in SF this past summer!

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks for making the idea of a day in Paris not sound so crazy. If I can ask, what things are you planning on seeing in Paris during your day there?

No problem.. do all you can while your in Europe. :D

When we went before, we visited the Pompidou Centre, The Louvre, and a couple more galleries/museums.. Paris seems to specialize in galleries/art. The Champs-Elises is very cool too, big big shopping street with all the famous arcs nearby or on it. Also, the Eiffel Tower is cool to see.. take a trip up, on a clear day you get very good views of Central Paris. I'm not sure what else.. just walking around doing the French thing.. :p Its a beautiful city. I think a day there would be good, but leave yourself enough time to do all you want to do in London aswell.. you just need to weigh up what you want to be doing most.

Ask if you have any more questions, I'll use my limited knowledge of Paris to answer.. :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
A Big Thanks to all!

The flights have been booked, the B&B's reserved. I have decided to hold on the day trip to Paris for this trip. I will spend 3 nights in Iceland, and two nights in London.

Now I will start the look at what I will want to see and do. I amy turn to you all after I have come up with a better schedule of my stay in each place.

Thanks again all.....

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
louvre

One last thing - when you visit paris, if you end up in the louvre, be careful. i spent a couple of miserable days in paris, but the louvre was the exception. you might want to check the hours, but there are a couple days a week when they have "extended hours" (i think sun and wed). I showed up when they opened on an extended day and they had to kick me out when they closed. it's amazing.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Iceland is awesome, have a great time. Last time I went it was in end of Feb-early March. Still had a great time.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Chip NoVaMac said:
The flights have been booked, the B&B's reserved. I have decided to hold on the day trip to Paris for this trip. I will spend 3 nights in Iceland, and two nights in London.

Now I will start the look at what I will want to see and do. I amy turn to you all after I have come up with a better schedule of my stay in each place.

Thanks again all.....

Go see Stonehenge. Everyone should do it at least once, especially given that you're going to be in the neighboorhood. It's quite awe-inspiring.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Ok, been back five days and still trying to get a handle on life and all the pictures I took. Spent a better part of the day today in using my "free" Picturemate printer in printing off images for my scrapbook from my trip.

What can I say? My co-workers and customers are asking to see an album from my trip! I may be a week away from from fully being able to post on my adventures.

All in all everything was fine. Never did what I had planned on for the most part. Never saw any other part of Iceland (stayed mostly in Reykjavik); other than what I saw from the flight to London from Keflavik.

Nor did my food poisoning on the flight from Reykjavik to London spoil my stay, though my hurling on the common area of Westminster Tube station may have caused a few an upset. :eek:

Over the next few days I hope to start sharing some images.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Unless someone tells me otherwise, I think the Heathrow Express (my flight to/from London would be through LHR - duh:D ) to Paddington Station sounds like the best way into London.

You are right on this one. A taxi would be outrageous. The tube is incredibly efficient and quick.

So my questions (keep in mind this is my first international trip):

- How long does it take to get through customs and get through currency exchange lines?

I dodged customs because I flew in from Dublin but to get through customs in Dublin was only about 20 min. Id suggest using an ATM rathern than a currency exchange kiosk, you get the best rate

- Given my time in London, what would be the suggested itinerary for a short stay? (Keep in mind I am planning a trip to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day - plans there are to get in to Dublin on the day of 3/16, departing on 3/18 - going back through London on something like Ryanair). So I will have opportunities to catch things on my next trip to London and Europe. Also I love doing night time sight seeing.

Try and see a show. Phantom of the Opera was my favorite London attraction.

- Any suggestions on "reasonable" hotels B&B's near Paddington Station? I don't mind taking the Tube to another area, but would rather my time in the Tube be spent getting around to sights, than my hotel. (I should say that I am not one that needs luxury for a hotel, just something that is clean and safe.

I stayed at a hostel near Richmond, cannot help you here.

- For the photographers here, how tripod friendly is London? As an example NYC is very tripod unfriendly.

I didnt have a tripod but when I was there I didnt think it to be very crowded at all and would say that it is tripod friendly

- Timing on getting to the airports. I know that leaving from the US, I should allow at least two hours. What about the trip to Reykjavik to London? And I guess that two hours at LHR back to the states for an afternoon departure should be enough? Just how reliable are the times and travel times listed for the Heathrow Express?

They are typically reliable and depart around 5 min of when they should. This is just from my experience with the Stansted Express to Stansted Airport. Also with the express ask people on the train and make sure you are on the right one. I got on one painted stansted express but it was actually for stansted the city, not the airport. Probably not an issue with Heathrow but something to be aware of.

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

Chip

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Chip NoVaMac said:
Ok, been back five days and still trying to get a handle on life and all the pictures I took. Spent a better part of the day today in using my "free" Picturemate printer in printing off images for my scrapbook from my trip.

What can I say? My co-workers and customers are asking to see an album from my trip! I may be a week away from from fully being able to post on my adventures.

All in all everything was fine. Never did what I had planned on for the most part. Never saw any other part of Iceland (stayed mostly in Reykjavik); other than what I saw from the flight to London from Keflavik.

Nor did my food poisoning on the flight from Reykjavik to London spoil my stay, though my hurling on the common area of Westminster Tube station may have caused a few an upset. :eek:

Over the next few days I hope to start sharing some images.

Haha I guess I should read the entire post first!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ieani said:
Unless someone tells me otherwise, I think the Heathrow Express (my flight to/from London would be through LHR - duh:D ) to Paddington Station sounds like the best way into London.

You are right on this one. A taxi would be outrageous. The tube is incredibly efficient and quick.

Ended up at a B&B in the Hammersmith-Fuller borough right on the Tube and #9 bus (IIRC). So no need for the Heathrow Express. The bonus is that I did not have to go through Terminal 4 for this trip.

So my questions (keep in mind this is my first international trip):

- How long does it take to get through customs and get through currency exchange lines?

I dodged customs because I flew in from Dublin but to get through customs in Dublin was only about 20 min. Id suggest using an ATM rathern than a currency exchange kiosk, you get the best rate

Did the ATM thing when at the various airports.

The passage through Passport Control in Iceland, coming and going, is a breeze. Departure control at Heathrow can be hit or miss from what I am told. At 1PM in the afternoon on a Monday it took me just under 20 minutes.

- Given my time in London, what would be the suggested itinerary for a short stay? (Keep in mind I am planning a trip to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day - plans there are to get in to Dublin on the day of 3/16, departing on 3/18 - going back through London on something like Ryanair). So I will have opportunities to catch things on my next trip to London and Europe. Also I love doing night time sight seeing.

Try and see a show. Phantom of the Opera was my favorite London attraction.

Had planned on seeing "We Will Rock You" on Monday night, but the bad food on my flight over to the UK got in the way.

- Any suggestions on "reasonable" hotels B&B's near Paddington Station? I don't mind taking the Tube to another area, but would rather my time in the Tube be spent getting around to sights, than my hotel. (I should say that I am not one that needs luxury for a hotel, just something that is clean and safe.

I stayed at a hostel near Richmond, cannot help you here.

The B&B I ended up staying at was great. Short ride to most anywhere I would want to go. And Mr. Orlando was very personable.

-- Timing on getting to the airports. I know that leaving from the US, I should allow at least two hours. What about the trip to Reykjavik to London? And I guess that two hours at LHR back to the states for an afternoon departure should be enough? Just how reliable are the times and travel times listed for the Heathrow Express?

They are typically reliable and depart around 5 min of when they should. This is just from my experience with the Stansted Express to Stansted Airport. Also with the express ask people on the train and make sure you are on the right one. I got on one painted stansted express but it was actually for stansted the city, not the airport. Probably not an issue with Heathrow but something to be aware of.

Arrived at Heathrow two hours before my departure time. It allowed me some last minute shopping. :)

Icelandair did board us on time, but we had a 50 minute delay at the gate due to "traffic" issues. Given that I had only a one hour layover in Reykjavik, I had some concern. We ended up holding up the BWI flight by 15 minutes (to Icelandair's credit they did get my bag on my BWI flight).

Unlike my experiences here in the US, the flight attendants could not provide any information on my BWI connection till we were within an hour of Reykjavik

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.