Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
For those of you that have Tiger, I was wondering if we could clear up the requirements for three-way video chats and such.

My situation is wanting to do a three way video chat with these machines:
PowerBook Aluminum 1.25 Ghz
PowerBook Titanium 867 Mhz
iBook G4 1.2 Ghz

I know that it officially says you need a G5 or dual 1.0+ G4 for the four way, but I was wondering if the machines I listed could handle a three way.

Androit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
Houston
stoid said:
For those of you that have Tiger, I was wondering if we could clear up the requirements for three-way video chats and such.

My situation is wanting to do a three way video chat with these machines:
PowerBook Aluminum 1.25 Ghz
PowerBook Titanium 867 Mhz
iBook G4 1.2 Ghz

I know that it officially says you need a G5 or dual 1.0+ G4 for the four way, but I was wondering if the machines I listed could handle a three way.

Woah I didn't realize that had different reqs than the operating system.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
To HOST, you will need a dual 1ghz G4 or any G5. To participate, u'll need at least a single ghz G4 or dual 800mhz G4. These are the requirements for 3 or 4 way video chat.

For single 1 on 1 video, requirements are same as before.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
chibianh said:
To HOST, you will need a dual 1ghz G4 or any G5. To participate, u'll need at least a single ghz G4 or dual 800mhz G4. These are the requirements for 3 or 4 way video chat.

For single 1 on 1 video, requirements are same as before.

So it's the same for 3 way as for 4 way? Do you start the chat differently for 1 to 1 than to a 3 way? Seems rather silly that they wouldn't have lower specs for a 3 way as opposed to a 4 way.

Do you know that the 3 way is just as high from experience/know someone that has tried, or are you just guessing like me?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im interested in this too, and i wonder why the requirements are so high as well..... i just dont get it! :confused:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
PlaceofDis said:
im interested in this too, and i wonder why the requirements are so high as well..... i just dont get it! :confused:
h.264 requires a lot of processing power to encode/decode stuff. it's very efficient, but very intensive to encode.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Does anyone actually know, from experience, the answer to this? Has anyone tried and failed to initiate a 3- or 4-way iChat AV video chat on a Mac with a G4 at 1.5 GHz or thereabouts?

Is this a 'soft' recommendation, below which iChat AV will perform poorly, but work, or a 'hard' one where the software tries to detect the hardware specs and in certain cases won't let it start or something ...

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I can't get a 1GHz Powerbook G4 to participate in 3 or 4-person video conferencing in iChat AV 3. The initiating computer is a Mac Pro, and all 3 Macs have 10.4.8. Could it be that the Powerbook can't participate because of low RAM (256MB)? RAM is not listed as a requirement on the iChat AV page. Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.