Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avensis087

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Here is an error message I've been receiving while trying to accept/start a video chat with friends of mine that are using AIM on a Windows computer. Before I bought my new iMac Core Duo I had never had problems video chatting with these same folks. Does anybody know where the problem could be coming from?

mr

Attachments

• error message.png
    error message.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 456

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Sure would've been helpful if you'd clicked the arrow to the left of the word Details to show the specifics of the problem.

lalynne

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
communication error 8

My daughter is in school in London and is getting a communication error (when looking into it, it is an error 8) when she tries to use the iSight her boyfriend who is on Windows using AIM in the U.S.

She was able to use it when she was here in the U.S. with him but as soon as she hooked her computer up in London she has been getting this erroor. She is able to use her video with me (I am in the U.S.) using iChat (I have a Mac too, we are both running OS 10.4.7). I tried to connect to her boyfriend with my computer (both of us are in the U.S.) and it worked fine. Does anyone have any idea about how to resolve this and what we could possibly look for?

(We are both using iChat AV 3.1.5 (v436)

arehartc

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2006
same problem - error code

The forum only allows a specific length to posts, so here is the beginning to the error code. I am having the same problem going from Mac to PC via AIM 5.9. Interestingly, PC to MAC initiation works just fine.

Date/Time: 2006-09-03 09:49:58.157 -0600
OS Version: 10.4.7 (Build 8J2135)
Report Version: 4

iChat Connection Log:
AVChat started with ID 2623915183.
chrisarehart@mac.com: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateWaiting.
0x4d7620: State change from AVChatNoState to AVChatStateInvited.
0x4d7620: State change from AVChatStateInvited to AVChatStateConnecting.
chrisarehart@mac.com: State change from AVChatStateWaiting to AVChatStateConnecting.
chrisarehart@mac.com: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
Chat ended with error -8
0x4d7620: State change from AVChatStateConnecting to AVChatStateEnded.
Chat ended with error -8

Video Conference Error Report:

Video Conference Support Report:

Video Conference User Report:

If anyone knows how to interpret these messages, email me at arehartc@yahoo.com and I will send you the entire error code string.

Cheers

Chris

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have been having this problem a lot. Both me and my GF have Macbook Pros and we use ichat a lot when I am traveling. For unknown reasons, this will happen a lot 1 day and nodda the next, its driving me crazy.

JoeMaller

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
New York City
What is your QT Streaming Speed set to?

Chat ended with error -8

Try adjusting your QuickTime Streaming Speed down from whatever you have it. Setting that too high breaks video conferencing my MacBook Pro everytime.

QuickTime Streaming Speed is set through the Quicktime pane of System Preferences, under the Streaming tab.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I have found that iChat is a little temperamental when doing video chat with AIM. I have found much more success if the AIM person is the one that tries to initiate the chat, rather than the iChat person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.