Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
I read somewhere about this. Is this an idea for the future or can you currently use ICQ with iChat?
Thanks
Hui

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
The windows version of AOL IM (or the beta version at least) has suppost for ICQ so that AOL users can send I'm's to ICQ users and add them to their friends list. AOL and ICQ are the same company. iChat is a AOL: compatible client so thus there is a good chance apple will add ICQ compatibility in the next update. I personally would like them to also add compatibility for Jabba also as this shouldn't be difficult with it being an open source project. As far as I know it would just involve Apple setting up a Jabba compatible server and adding the Jabba source code though I don't know too much about it.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Is there anything like trillian(http://www.trillian.cc) for Mac users. It is a simple chat program that allows you to use MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo messenger all in one sleek program for those of you who haven't heard of it.
Cheers,
Hui

Kyle

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2002
There is also Proteus which if I am not mistaken is available from versiontracker.com

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
proteus is wonderful. i have used all sorts of flavors of messenger on osx... and proteus is my fav. works a lot like trillian - only i can have 1 chat window will a flyout menu of all those i'm chatting with - no need for multiple windows. that alone is awesome enough. i would hope ichat would take that design and use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.