Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
iPhone 6+ will not back up to iCloud, keeps repeating that a back up could not be completed

tried multiple times:

1. signing in/out of icloud
2. reset network settings
3. reset all settings
4. turning iPhone on/off, soft/hard reset
5. turned off wifi assist

can't be wifi/router as 2 iPads back up on same wifi no problem + have plenty of storage in iCloud + on iPhone itself

last b/u was Jan 29, 2019 (believe there was an IOS update after this date)

any other suggestions would be most appreciated - thx!

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
iPhone 6+ will not back up to iCloud, keeps repeating that a back up could not be completed

tried multiple times:

1. signing in/out of icloud
2. reset network settings
3. reset all settings
4. turning iPhone on/off, soft/hard reset
5. turned off wifi assist

can't be wifi/router as 2 iPads back up on same wifi no problem + have plenty of storage in iCloud + on iPhone itself

last b/u was Jan 29, 2019 (believe there was an IOS update after this date)

any other suggestions would be most appreciated - thx!

This is what fixes this issue for me:

It’s recommended to create an iTunes backup https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977#itunes first if possible, but that is up to you. I’ve done the following several times without losing any data but YMMV.

On your phone go to:

Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups

Delete any old backups for your phone that are listed. This will also turn off backup.

Once deleted, turn backup back on by going to:

Settings > Your Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup

and then tap “Back Up Now.” The backup should complete without issue.

Reactions: ltb7

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
This is what fixes this issue for me:

It’s recommended to create an iTunes backup https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977#itunes first if possible, but that is up to you. I’ve done the following several times without losing any data but YMMV.

On your phone go to:

Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups

Delete any old backups for your phone that are listed. This will also turn off backup.

Once deleted, turn backup back on by going to:

Settings > Your Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup

and then tap “Back Up Now.” The backup should complete without issue.

going to give it a go tonight - thank you so much!

Reactions: mattguy10

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Do you have any issues with iTunes backup or it works OK btw?

only have my macbook air with me right now and no space - have everything backed up on an iPad + can log on to iCloud and it's all there - it seemed to work on iTunes but did not finish only b/c lack of space - nothing suggested anything was corrupt...

have any messages i need backed up in phoneview on air + photos backed up in google too so anything i'd care about is there

should prob pick up an external drive (have TM but don't want to risk overriding my iMac b/u which is on there too)

been with Apple since service started, Mobile Me and never had any issues...

pretty sure it was after the last IOS update that icloud stopped backing up, only link i could find that may have caused this issue but iPad's b/u's are working fine and all on same wife + IOS, so strange!

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
I would say that all iOS 12.1.x updates were really messed up in one way or another, so not surprised people have ridiculous bugs... Can you back up with PhoneView to a custom folder on an external drive/NAS?

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
93194D60-439E-4A43-926B-4A2C7CAAB42A.jpeg
I would say that all iOS 12.1.x updates were really messed up in one way or another, so not surprised people have ridiculous bugs... Can you back up with PhoneView to a custom folder on an external drive/NAS?

very buggy update, wish Apple would chill and release after they are sure but nothing new - will def need to get a drive as last attempt is now suddenly saying:

Some files were unavailable during the last backup

going to try one last time as last thought was that i shut off face time during that open mic saga so will turn on again and see if any luck, grasping at straws here

will hit up amazon tonight for a new drive, which i need anyway - do not trust my Time Machine to not overwrite my last iMac backup

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
External drive for backups is a lifesaver, so definitely good idea. Check if you can back up with PhoneView and if won't work, try in Airplane mode.

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
OP are you still experiencing these problems? I keep getting the message “The last backup could not be completed”. Not every day but it seems like I get it every other day when trying to back up overnight.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
OP are you still experiencing these problems? I keep getting the message “The last backup could not be completed”. Not every day but it seems like I get it every other day when trying to back up overnight.

it worked on Feb 22 then has not backed up to icloud since so yes still a problem and tried everything possible and get the same exact message as you but every day...

no longer get the file message now it's only saying could not be completed

has yours improved?

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
it worked on Feb 22 then has not backed up to icloud since so yes still a problem and tried everything possible and get the same exact message as you but every day...

has yours improved?

Did you delete the old iCloud backup as described above, and then tried to do a fresh iCloud backup?

The reason to backup via iTunes is so that if you delete your iCloud backup AND then your iPhone immediately takes a dump, then you still have one good backup left to restore from when you get a new phone.

RickCMC

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018

has yours improved?
It must be some sort of bug affecting some iCloud users. I keep getting the backup couldn’t be completed message and I’ve tried everything, even setting up phone as new but I still get the error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.