Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
iClound is two-factor authentication because is uses your username plus your iCloud password (which is far more secure than choosing a number from 0 to 999).
You still don't get it, do you?

Password is 1-factor.

Password + verification code is 2-factor.

Go to iCloud.com and enter your Apple ID and password. Hit RETURN and you're in. That's called one-factor authentication.

Two-factor authentication would require you to enter a verification code in addition to your password.

Get it?

Last edited:

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Considering they're on 10.9 and the next version is going to most likely kick into 11 if the numbering trend continues, they're likely saving the overhaul for that. What's nice about this is that it gives them some time to see what works in iOS 7 and what doesn't and then next year, present a refined iOS 8 and a Mac OS 11 that builds off of the refinements.

No, if the trend continues, the next version would be 10.10, not 11. I don't think we will see 11 any time soon except as 10.11. (See OS X 10.4.11 as an example...)

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
I have been wondering about iTunes U myself. I think it is the one place where the skuemorphism (sp) works. A notebook for your class. It's nice.

As for the iOS 7 icons (and the theme in general) it has really grown on me and I really like it. The one icon I would change is the one for reminders. Those colored dots on the side don't look like they are aligned correctly.:(

agree 100%

----------

The only people who love the flat design as bloggers and designers who love the Swiss design school.

Sorry, but regular people and UI usability experts think that iOS 7 is a disaster from an appearance and usability perspective.

Problems with iOS 7:
1. Helvetica Light - too thin.
2. Light grey text on a white background.
3. Too much removal of texture and other references to real world objects removed destroys context.
4. Flat design blurs delineation between background causing usability issues for new users and regular non-geeks.

SO apparently none of those experts work at Apple. And surprise surprise, you are one of those geniuses...

----------

This is technically Not possible.

Thats exactly what Ballmer said about the iphone just before it was released.

----------

I cannot seem to access beta.iCloud.com on my iPad am I suppose to be able to access this page?

No, you can't.

----------

Wow, the comparison couldn't be starker! You have the beautiful iWork icons, each of which is a work of art, versus the bland, amateurish iOS 7 piffle.

Jony Ive is a genius, but he's gone too far with the icon redesign. Yes, bound leather skeuomorphism was a bad idea, but replacing it with icons that look like they were created from construction paper by kindergartners is bad in the opposite direction.

Seek balance, J.

I disagree. Iwork icons look extremely old fashioned now.

I disliked iOS 7 when it was real released. After one month, I would never go back to iOS 6. I found it awful now.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
How ridiculous is it that people are considering a change in OS just because of icons? The world has gone mad

I for one am glad there are still people out there who appreciate and see the importance of art. It's gonna be a sad day when everyone is so devoid of any artistic sense they no longer care how products look and feel.

Deuce2

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
MD
To be fair, that actually looks pretty good. Sure, just like iOS7 it needs some work. But we're not going to see this in OS X until at least next year, by which time, we'll also have iOS8 where a huge chunk of the "alleged inconsistencies" will be ironed out.

Wow, that actually looks good to you? Apparently Apple seems now to be catering to people of your design taste.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
While that's obviously true, the inconsistency comment was referring to iCloud.com itself.

Also, I can't remember a time when iOS, OS X, and iCloud were ever truly consistent. iOS 6 never got ML's dock, for example. Trends happen (oftentimes in iTunes first) and they sort of trickle down into other areas.

I wouldn't be so sure. OS X never got the old iCloud look.

The OSX might never get the icons. But hey .. it's grey linen everywhere! Login screen, notifications, Safari background. The OSX is evolving into one with iOS I'm telling you. Maybe in 3 to 4 years.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
But 10.10 = 10.1 :confused:

It's a versioning system, not decimals.

But yes, whatever they do it's going to be awkward: "Mac OS X version 11.0" or Mac OS X version 10.10". This is probably why they are moving away from calling OS X by its version number in its marketing.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Sorry, but regular people and ... experts think that ... is a disaster

Great game, did you learn that from Professor Insidious N. Nefarious at The Evil School for Wayward Children? He recently forwarded the rules of this vile little game you just played:

Step 1: draw two circles
Step 2: label one circle "bad people" and the other circle "good people"
Step 3: jump into the circle labelled "good people," draw the circumference of the circle tight around your waist and declare to the world everyone must find a circle in which to stand immediately and anyone left standing outside one of the circles dies
Step 4: watch with glee while the circle labelled, "bad people" fills to capacity with everyone else but you in life
Step 5: giggle proudly (but not too loudly, gloating in public is not appropriate for proper haughty types)

As a regular person who also has extensive UI design experience I just wanted to remind you that art and design are subjective, but more importantly to let you know that unless you are privy to the brief from which the design team worked, commenting on the new OS as if you're so utterly knowledgeable is a great way to demonstrate you are anything but.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I strongly believe all comments favoring iOS7 are from Apple workers and they are getting paid/obligated to do so.

The day Android is superior to iOS is coming...

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Fantastic! Nice to some unity spreading between iOS and OS X. I can't begin to imagine how nice this theme will look on a retina Mac.

I hope it stays in your imagination.

It's a versioning system, not decimals.

But yes, whatever they do it's going to be awkward: "Mac OS X version 11.0" or Mac OS X version 10.10". This is probably why they are moving away from calling OS X by its version number in its marketing.

If they moved to 11.0, there's no way they'd continue calling it OS X. It'd be OS 11 or OS XI.

Last edited:

avidos

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
more windows mobile/android cloning.... I thought Apple innovated ?

ugly as hell

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Attention to detail is what made Apple great. Unfortunately, those days are over and iTunes 11 was the first harbinger of things to come followed by iOS 7.

Steve would never have approved such boring, cheap and cold looking UI work - he knew the value of creating an emotional bond with a product. How can I feel any emotions looking at WHITE with text in a few different colors?

With OS X and iOS 6, I have always been smiling about the small quirky things they have added to the GUI - it was human and it showed that someone cared about the user experience. Now we have minimalist, flat robo-design done by a stuck up Brit...

Exactly, I don't see this design holding up well, this new direction where they apparently decided to pay no attention to detail, and give us this boring, cheap, Florida-womens-retirement-home-all-white-with-a-little-pastel-theme, is disgusting.

Change isn't good when its for the worse.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I strongly believe all comments favoring iOS7 are from Apple workers and they are getting paid/obligated to do so.

The day Android is superior to iOS is coming...

But I thought people were complaining that iOS 7 looks too android?

tai.michael

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
iOS7 Design

When I started out doing digital design, I took a lot if not the most cues from Apple's interfaces. The subtle detailing in their gradients, bevels, and shadows had a science and art to them. There also was a respect to consistent and tame color palettes, as well as silhouettes that struck a balance between minimalism and showiness.

In these icons for iOS7, it is very clear the departure of Scott Forstall was for the worse, and that Jon Ive knows very little the importance of the rules and principles of digital design. Don't get me wrong, he's a great industrial designer, but that doesn't necessarily translate into meaningful interface designs. Apple should have put someone with serious digital design experience to be in charge of the interface for their new iOS just like Google has recently. Take a look at Google's guidelines for design. It strikes a balance between Forstall's detailed design and the overly-simplistic Windows 8. (http://www.behance.net/gallery/Google-Visual-Assets-Guidelines-Part-1/9028077)

The biggest problem with iOS7's design is mostly consistency. I think Windows 8 is better (even though I absolutely detest it) because the design is more unified. iOS7 has icons with gradients sometimes going from dark to light. And other times, it goes from light to dark. The angle of the gradient between icons also changes. Some icons have a lot of detailing, some are incredibly simplistic. And the worst is that it utilizes ridiculously saturated colors that any serious designer would never use. Apple is breaking Design 101 rules. That's how bad iOS7 is.

If this is the direction Apple is headed, I might consider moving off OSX as well. I have already made plans to move to Android with the revealing of iOS7.

Last edited:

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Nonsense. The only people who have a problem with Apple are tech blogs and commentators who constantly need something to complain about.

Apple has always been a premium brand; the cheap brands, like Android, will always have quantity but Apple has never gone after quantity before, just quality.

Go outside of the tech bubble and you'll see things are just fine.

Also, are people REALLY complaining about icons when you only see them for a whole two seconds while opening the app?

It's not just the icons, it's the whole OS that looks bland, sterile, and cheap.

Besides, the iPhones icons are iconic. Update them? Sure. Refine them? Sure. Trash them for something entirely new, that looks like crap? No way. Those icons are everywhere, good design matters.

This is new coke, and makes as much sense as Porsche turning the 911 into a pickup truck. There will be no "getting used to" this horrid design, just like people didn't "get used to" the Pontiac Aztek.

And you're right, Apple always has been a premium brand, which why so many people are disgusted by this hideous, cheap, gaudy looking new design direction they've taken.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Am I the only one? Ive always hated the Pages, Keynote, Numbers icons. Especially now they don't fit the style at all of iOS7.

The Apple community is becoming more effeminate, as they gush over pastel colors and making sure their mobile & desktop designs match. Can you imagine the embarrassment lurking if Apple fails to meet their every desire...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Great game, did you learn that from Professor Insidious N. Nefarious at The Evil School for Wayward Children? He recently forwarded the rules of this vile little game you just played:

Step 1: draw two circles
Step 2: label one circle "bad people" and the other circle "good people"
Step 3: jump into the circle labelled "good people," draw the circumference of the circle tight around your waist and declare to the world everyone must find a circle in which to stand immediately and anyone left standing outside one of the circles dies
Step 4: watch with glee while the circle labelled, "bad people" fills to capacity with everyone else but you in life
Step 5: giggle proudly (but not too loudly, gloating in public is not appropriate for proper haughty types)

As a regular person who also has extensive UI design experience I just wanted to remind you that art and design are subjective, but more importantly to let you know that unless you are privy to the brief from which the design team worked, commenting on the new OS as if you're so utterly knowledgeable is a great way to demonstrate you are anything but.
William, why don't you stop with the ad hominem attacks and focus the subject at hand?

Are you saying that a flat UI with no obvious borders to buttons lends itself to usability by people who have never seen the interface before? Would a toddler be able to figure out where the buttons are? What about a senior citizen?

What made the iPad so easy for virtually anyone to pickup and start using was the SKEUOMORPHISM. The uninitiated people with no experience with computers could immediately pick out what elements on a UI did on an iPad because it looked and reacted in the way you would expect it to based on its appearance. The previous design language was based on imitating real world objects which older people were used to which is precisely why they could relate to it so quickly.

I'm sorry but the majority of people buying iPads were not hipsters well versed in technology but rather regular people who were generally technophobes.

I'm prepared to put up my 15+ years of experience in designing and creating interfaces against you. I created interfaces both for the general public and for internal business users.

ROTTEN-AAPL

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Are you saying that a flat UI with no obvious borders to buttons lends itself to usability by people who have never seen the interface before? Would a toddler be able to figure out where the buttons are? What about a senior citizen?

What made the iPad so easy for virtually anyone to pickup and start using was the SKEUOMORPHISM. The uninitiated people with no experience with computers could immediately pick out what elements on a UI did on an iPad because it looked and reacted in the way you would expect it to based on its appearance. The previous design language was based on imitating real world objects which older people were used to which is precisely why they could relate to it so quickly.

I'm sorry but the majority of people buying iPads were not hipsters well versed in technology but rather regular people who were generally technophobes.

Yup! Apple will lose further market share big time, because normal people don't live in a design ivory tower like Mr. Ive. They want to use an intuitive product and feel a sense of engagement with their phone or tablet rather than being guinea pigs for a new design ideology that will never work.

I was always amazed how a two year-old who could barely speak was able to use the iPhone and iPad like a pro, switching between movies and pictures and enjoying the experience. And why was it able to do that? Because it understood what a button looked like in real live and, hence, could use the textured iOS intuitively. This will never happen with the new idiotic flat design.

Apple is toast, what a shame... :mad:

----------

The new Apple UI design ideology: flat and minimalist

CC-108-118-800.jpg

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Yup! Apple will lose further market share big time, because normal people don't live in a design ivory tower like Mr. Ive. They want to use an intuitive product and feel a sense of engagement with their phone or tablet rather than being guinea pigs for a new design ideology that will never work.

I was always amazed how a two year-old who could barely speak was able to use the iPhone and iPad like a pro, switching between movies and pictures and enjoying the experience. And why was it able to do that? Because it understood what a button looked like in real live and, hence, could use the textured iOS intuitively. This will never happen with the new idiotic flat design.

Apple is toast, what a shame... :mad:

Apple would have been toast if they kept the SAME DESIGN they have been using since 2007. Everyone was leaving iPhone for Android because of that reason or other reasons. But still...the old iOS was very very VEEEEERY stale. Many people said it and everyone would agree. People asked for a new design and Apple listened. They gave you a new design. And quite frankly a lot of people that I talk to LOVE IT. Even my mother (that isnt tech savvy) thinks its easy to use and not confusing. At first I was "eh" on the new design but once I actually USED iOS 7 Beta I learned to love it more and more. And thats whats going to happen people who HATE the design will learn to love it over time. If they dont well they are either A) VERY VERY VERY closed minded and stubborn or B) ....idk what is B but...its something. So come back and tell me Apple is toast AFTER iOS 7 is PUBLICLY released. Because when it is publicly released THEN thats when the consumer can tell us what they think.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
But 10.10 = 10.1 :confused:

As others have said, versioning is Version.Subversion.Patch, where the periods are separators, not a decimal number.

For example, OS X Tiger went: 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 to 10.4.11. 10.4.10 was not the same thing as 10.4.1.

Likewise, 10.10 will not be just "10.10", it will be "10.10.0" on its first release.

Heck, some software companies leave the "primary version" completely off of the public marketing of their software! Java 7 is really version 1.7 (and Java 6 is 1.6.) Solaris 11 is really SunOS 5.11, as Solaris 10 was SunOS 5.10, and Solaris 9 was SunOS 5.9. (With Solaris it is a slight oversimplification.)

Oct 24, 2012
The biggest problem with iOS7's design is mostly consistency. I think Windows 8 is better (even though I absolutely detest it) because the design is more unified. iOS7 has icons with gradients sometimes going from dark to light. And other times, it goes from light to dark. The angle of the gradient between icons also changes. Some icons have a lot of detailing, some are incredibly simplistic. And the worst is that it utilizes incredibly saturated colors that any serious designer would never use. Apple is breaking Design 101 rules.

Your observations are correct. However, it doesn't appear as if you've ever properly or fairly also scrutinized the icons that were present in iOS 6 or prior.

You don't notice a wide array of inconsistencies there as well? Left to right gradient on music, diagonal stripes on phone apps, radial "explosion" textures on store apps. Glass effects on some icons, while it's completely missing on others.

Apple has actually applied an overarching theme in iOS 7 while abolishing some very arbitrary feeling attempts to introduce some uniformity. (Similar "store" and "phone utility" icons, for example)

Beyond that, iOS 1-6 had icons that appeared to be created by several artists who communicated very little or were intent on adding their own stamp to the design. Passbook and reminders are completely contradictory designs to that any previous icon. Newsstand is possibly the laziest of them, being a mere resize of the shelf used in iBooks... Which is just an design stolen from Delicious Monster.

As far back as iPhone OS 1.0- Phone and SMS appear to have a shiny plasticy gradient... Glass is present on about half of the icons. Settings, while beautiful, is unlike any other app. When 2.0 came out, many apps were brought into the glassy theme, while others remained soft looking. And then there's Settings. Still alone and inconsistent.

Calendar, contacts, calculator, notepad, Game Center... All entirely different from phone, weather, photos, etc.

Calc actually got little glassy buttons and then later turned into a soft rust color?

And then there is that FaceTime icon. What is that? I'll tell you: It's a lens copied from the camera app with its color adjusted slightly and then pasted on the SIDE of a grey square and triangle meant to resemble an ancient studio camera that is pointing to the right. THE SIDE!

As (s)he was finishing up, (s)he probably said out loud: "And just to top it off, let's put a bumpy texture behind it that vaguely resembles an asbestos popcorn ceiling! Now just steal the border from the settings app, lower the contrast... Oh! Can't forget that glass texture. But UGH! It's too distracting! Let me turn that opacity down to 4% because I can't let that innovative design theme that hardly anybody is following get in the way of my ART."

The point being: iOS 7 is a model of design consistency when compared to all previous versions of iOS. I only picked at the icons, but go from one stock Apple app into another and look at the colors, textures, backgrounds. As a student of design (and I don't care if you are a professor teaching it) you should always be observant and open minded and willing to give a fair analysis.

Clarification: despite being inconsistent from launch, iOS has for the most part been a collection of very beautiful ideas. I appreciate most of the icons and UI elements from any version. Until now, we've never seen a real theme from Apple. They did what they wanted to do and it worked because it's the phone everyone lusted after. Now that Apple is competing against other similar quality devices and software, the disorganized collection of beauty has been set aside in favor of a real theme that is actually fairly consistent from element to element.

I've taken arts and design classes at several schools and one of the messages every professor or instructor or pro has eluded to at some point was when something is surprising or strange or "incorrect" feeling, it isn't WRONG. Art can't be wrong.

Sorry for the length, but by implying Apple doesn't hire "serious designers" because they dared to create something radically different (but not without flaws!)... Is offensive.

Could you give me the info about that "Design 101" class that told you that there are things you can and can't do while creating digital art? I'd like to possibly audit it and provide some feedback about setting boundaries on creativity. Thanks.

PS: This bickering is eerily similar to Anti v Pro gay rights discussions. Intolerance is such a disgusting trait. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.