Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Apple can win this. But seriously, Apple needs to hire some new people in marketing. icloud? Everyone is calling it the cloud now. Call it something original.

Actually their marketing people calling it iCloud are how they're probably win this. I'm too lazy to Google all the lawsuits involving i-something, but Apple has been sued before for similar things and either wins, or easily settles out of court. The i dash ( i-) branding is something they've owned and rolled out for years. It would be hard for any company to to try and say Apple is using their branding or idea. When you see an i- before a name, people instantly thinking it's Apple branding. With Apple's suit with Amazon, trying to win with "app store" might be harder than if they'd called it "i-apps."

But what's funny to me is Cloud is a generic freely used term... and Apple is suing over "app store."

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What happened in the Nissan case: Some guy named Uzi Nissan running a computer store decided, quite rightfully and legitimately, that it would be nice to have the http://www.nissan.com domain. He applied for it, he got it, he used it. Perfectly deserved and legitimately. Not one of the domain squatters that buy names they think someone might want to use; he wanted it for himself because that's his family name. Nissan Motors was just asleep and realized years too late that the domain was long gone.
That suit is just hilarious. These are all words transliterated into English and then the suit is due to the English spelling. And Uzi's family spelled it differently than I've ever seen, if their name is truly taken from the name of the Jewish month. Just think, all this would have never happened if grandpa spelled it like everyone else.

They're also pronounced differently, per anything I've ever heard, although I'm not 100 or 3000 years old to have been present to hear either originally....

Car: nee sahn
Month: nI sun (long I)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Also wonder if that would ever be disclosed or if one of the conditions is that it's swept under the rug

I'd guess that it's part of the agreement. Nothing will be said, the company name will be changed and that's the end of it. I'm sure they were well rewarded if they changed their name so easily and dropped the lawsuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.