Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I have an issue and I'm wondering if it is just me.

For as long as I have had MobileMe and an iPhone/iPad I have never had my MM e-mail sync right. For example I will get an e-mail at my address and it shows up in the web app and pushes to all devices with no problem. However, if I delete the message in the web app it does not update on the iOS devices until I open the Mail app and have it sync. Similarly, if I delete the e-mail on my iPhone it will take it down instantly from the web app but it won't take it off my iPad until I open the Mail app.

Fast forward to today. I downloaded the iOS5 GM and moved my MM account over to iCloud and I am having the same issue. I send an e-mail to my @me.com e-mail account and it comes up in iCloud and the Mail app on my iPad like normal. But if I delete the e-mail from the web app the mail badge still shows the one unread message (also shows up in notification center). I have tried resetting the data on the iPad, restored and setup as a new device, deleted and re-added the account....nothing works.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

GregElite

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I have an issue and I'm wondering if it is just me.

For as long as I have had MobileMe and an iPhone/iPad I have never had my MM e-mail sync right. For example I will get an e-mail at my address and it shows up in the web app and pushes to all devices with no problem. However, if I delete the message in the web app it does not update on the iOS devices until I open the Mail app and have it sync. Similarly, if I delete the e-mail on my iPhone it will take it down instantly from the web app but it won't take it off my iPad until I open the Mail app.

Fast forward to today. I downloaded the iOS5 GM and moved my MM account over to iCloud and I am having the same issue. I send an e-mail to my @me.com e-mail account and it comes up in iCloud and the Mail app on my iPad like normal. But if I delete the e-mail from the web app the mail badge still shows the one unread message (also shows up in notification center). I have tried resetting the data on the iPad, restored and setup as a new device, deleted and re-added the account....nothing works.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Mine is just not pushing email from iCloud at all unless I restart it and it will show me the push notifications once.

karan301

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Same Issue

I send an e-mail to my @me.com e-mail account and it comes up in iCloud and the Mail app on my iPad like normal. But if I delete the e-mail from the web app the mail badge still shows the one unread message (also shows up in notification center).

Exact same issue. Really getting annoying. Although, since it's a general problem, Apple should get a fix running soon enough. What confuses me is that iMessages have no problem clearing the badge in real-time, so why Mail?

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Hate to break it to you all but MM has been doing this for at least the last year I've been using them.

It seems the mail portion only pushes when a new email is received so this is the only time the alert badge updates.

Since this "problem" has existed on MM for so long and now seems to be the same in iCloud, I fully expect this is being done on purpose for something.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I don't know whether the push notifications from iCloud to my 3GS are just really slow at times, or if it only works half of the times. But sometimes I get my me.com e-mails pushed immediately, sometimes it can deliver several hours worth of e-mails in one go. It's so annoying I'm considering telling it to check every 15 minutes instead, because getting it 15 minutes late is better than several hours late...

I have a Hotmail-account set up as an Exchange account to which the push notifications works great, and push works great for iCloud to the Mail app in Lion, so I don't really understand where the problem is... But it's nice to see I'm not the only one ;)

---

Ah, I didn't read the posts properly :p But yeah, that too, it doesn't update the "read"-status unless you do it manually. Not a big problem for me though, since it updates it just fine once you open the app. And thinking you have unread e-mails isn't as bad as the opposite in my opinion...

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Hate to break it to you all but MM has been doing this for at least the last year I've been using them.

It seems the mail portion only pushes when a new email is received so this is the only time the alert badge updates.

Since this "problem" has existed on MM for so long and now seems to be the same in iCloud, I fully expect this is being done on purpose for something.

Wonder if there is some mobile app limitation making it where it can't update because iOS doesn't have full on multi-tasking?

GregElite

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Not very likely. It works with Hotmail set up as an Exchange account...
Definatly an iCloud issue or iOS. Cause Google Activesync works fine and pushes. But iCloud only pushes once after you enable the account. Anything after that it just doesn't push.
Dev's report.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Definatly an iCloud issue or iOS. Cause Google Activesync works fine and pushes. But iCloud only pushes once after you enable the account. Anything after that it just doesn't push.
Dev's report.

I don't know where the problem lies, but after having read this thread earlier today I decided to test the push function by e-mailing my @me.com account from my hotmail-, gmail- and university accounts. In 100 % of the 97 sent e-mails, they were pushed successfully when the mail app was running (either active or in the background). When the app was not running, nothing came through until I opened the app myself.

This stands in contrast to my hotmail/exchange account, to which all e-mails get successfully pushed no matter if the mail app is running or not.

So saying iCloud only pushes once after enabling the account, and nothing after that, is not true [any more, at least, maybe it was]...

---

I just read your thread about this issue. Heh. Should've done that before answering I guess ;)

KenOzz

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Lincoln UK
I don't know where the problem lies, but after having read this thread earlier today I decided to test the push function by e-mailing my @me.com account from my hotmail-, gmail- and university accounts. In 100 % of the 97 sent e-mails, they were pushed successfully when the mail app was running (either active or in the background). When the app was not running, nothing came through until I opened the app myself.

This stands in contrast to my hotmail/exchange account, to which all e-mails get successfully pushed no matter if the mail app is running or not.

So saying iCloud only pushes once after enabling the account, and nothing after that, is not true [any more, at least, maybe it was]...

---

I just read your thread about this issue. Heh. Should've done that before answering I guess ;)

The issue of not pushing read notifications to IOS devices made me stop using my MobileMe account for mail

I had hoped it would have been fixed in iCloud but no !!!!

I do think its a bad flaw in MM email as Gmail is brilliant and updates the read stays instantly

I just redirect all my iCloud mail to Gmail as a work around in they remote hope Apple will fix it

Apothacarion

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
USA
This is a huge issue for me as well. I don't think this is as much as issue, but a feature request. I would love to use iCloud mail, but because of the badge update feature I do not. If this was implemented, I would switch in a heart beat.

Waffmeister

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Norway
I've also been irritated over this for the last year and thought they would fix it now, but no.

I also have some mailboxes with rules that moves all mail from a certain sender to that box, workes fine on my Mac, but on my iOS devices I only get the sound of getting a mail but no notification (unread symbol). Also when I open the app I can't see in which box the mail came to, I have to open each box, wait for it to synch, then the next and so on. NOT A GOOD SOLUTION.

Anyone know anything bout this?

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Same issue. Can't believe this little thing doesn't happen. Seems like such a silly thing to overlook.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
The funny thing is on my iPhone, before the migration, my push email from MM worked fine. Deleting an email on the desktop would remove the "unread" notification from my iPhone.

On my iPad, and now on my iPhone after migrating to iCloud, it works as everyone else has described here. Deleting an email from my iMac does not cause the iPhone to update the unread count at all.

Strange behavior... but apparently intended.

Would switching to fetch email make this problem go away? Or is that too much of a battery drain?

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
iCloud push email doesnt work at all here on my iphone, whether the Mail app is running in the background or not. I have to actually go into the Mail app for it to pick up my iCloud mail, it simply will not push no matter what I try. My Mac however gets push email instantly.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Mine has seemed to 'fix' itself this afternoon. Fingers crossed that it lasts...

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
This infuriates me. It's why I won't use iCloud mail. I have heard of people who claims it works for them. Until they fix this, I won't use the mail portion of iCloud.

KenOzz

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Lincoln UK
Mine has seemed to 'fix' itself this afternoon. Fingers crossed that it lasts...

Hello

Just to be clear are you saying that when you delete mail on your mac it updates the mail on your iPhone to read, and deletes without any user intervention ?

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
Hello

Just to be clear are you saying that when you delete mail on your mac it updates the mail on your iPhone to read, and deletes without any user intervention ?

I actually think he's saying when he deletes it off his mac or another device like his ipad, it doesn't delete it off his iphone. It would still show he has an email on his iphone. This is the same problem I have and why I don't use the icloud mail service. A lot of other people have the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a fix. It's just how it works which is really stupid.

Last edited:

KenOzz

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Lincoln UK
I actually think he's saying when he deletes it off his mac or another device like his ipad, and it doesn't delete it off his iphone. It would still show he has an email on his iphone. This is the same problem I have and why I don't use the icloud mail service. A lot of other people have the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a fix. It's just how it works which is really stupid.

Think you may be right, I was hopping someone had a fix, as like you I won't use iCloud for email because of it

I came over from MM and was fed up with the mail status not being updated on my iPhone and iPad and hopped Apple would have fixed this in iCloud, as I really wanted to be all Apple

Many of us complained about it as MM users but our complaints fell on deaf ears, looks like its going to be the same with iCloud

Such a simple thing is causing so much complaint, surely Apple can give users such a basic feature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.