Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
After being a Gmail user for many years, I decided to use iCloud email. Everything works and syncs well, expect for one problem:

I cannot send email from an alias (with non "@me.com" domain). The alias I want to use is like something@domainname.com, which Gmail allowed me to use without any problems (I just had to add that address in Gmail settings). I am using Lion 10.7.2 Mail App as my client. So I add the email alias after my "xxxxx@me.com" mail address in the Mail App settings as shown in this document: http://support.apple.com/kb/ta23485. Again, it only works for the Gmail account, but not the iCloud account.

Also, when I try to add email alias in the iCloud.com Mail settings, it only lets me add a "@me.com" alias. Is there any way to send/receive mail from a non "@me.com" email alias?

I have researched rigorously for the solution, but the it simply doesn't exist on any forum or Apple documentation. This is really important to me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Can't help you except to add my voice in the wish for such a feature. Even Yahoo allows you to select from a limited choice of domains.

Personally, I never like the idea of "@me.com", as while the domain itself makes sense when going to a website for personal information management, as an email address to give to others it sounds rather narcissistic. :eek: Glad I can still use my @mac.com address.

Let's submit our requests for this functionality, and hopefully others will do the same:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Can't help you except to add my voice in the wish for such a feature. Even Yahoo allows you to select from a limited choice of domains.

Personally, I never like the idea of "@me.com", as while the domain itself makes sense when going to a website for personal information management, as an email address to give to others it sounds rather narcissistic. :eek: Glad I can still use my @mac.com address.

Let's submit our requests for this functionality, and hopefully others will do the same:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Sent this issue along with iCloud not updating all iDevices when emails have been read/deleted. Sure hope they review these feedback issues.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Sent them the feedback. I hope they understand how important it is to give users a bit more options.

nixaccount

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
.me Alias

the old MobileMe took a while but for the past few years I've been using my work email as an alias. the new iCloud change somehow removed this old awesome option. I'm hoping they bring it back FAST. Otherwise, I'm back to my work mail server because I can't use my .me email. I'm with you..!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.