Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
After "upgrading" to macOS Sierra beta, I noticed that Photos in the iCloud settings was disabled. Tried to enable it but get an error "iCloud Photo Library is only available on Mac OS Standard and Mac OS Extended formatted volumes"

My disk is Mac OS Extended (Journalled, Encrypted) as it was under El Cap ... Anyone else having this issue before I log a bug.

Thanks

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
No issues with that here.
And no need to sarcastically put "upgrading" in quotes just because you installed a beta 1 release and have a rare issue.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
No issues with that here.
And no need to sarcastically put "upgrading" in quotes just because you installed a beta 1 release and have a rare issue.

Please don't make assumptions. I have been on the Beta ride for many many releases so know what to expect. To be honest I put "upgrading" in quotes because I didn't feel upgrade was the right phrase to use when installing a beta over a released version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekema2

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Fair enough. I've seen enough delusion around here today for a lifetime.

That issue you describe is a tad concerning, but most likely just a bug that you shouldn't try to hard to overcome, because lets be honest, there is almost no chance your HFS is not formatted properly.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The issue appeared to be an iCloud/Keychain issue. I logged out of iCloud in settings and then couldn't log back in ("You can't sign in at this time" error). I loaded keychain access and reset my keychain, rebooted, and logged back into iCloud successfully and Photos is working correctly now.

Ajejoide

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
The issue appeared to be an iCloud/Keychain issue. I logged out of iCloud in settings and then couldn't log back in ("You can't sign in at this time" error). I loaded keychain access and reset my keychain, rebooted, and logged back into iCloud successfully and Photos is working correctly now.

Could you please explain a bit more what you have done? I am having the same issue and I can't get it working properly. I am the point of having logged out, but can't log back in.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Could you please explain a bit more what you have done? I am having the same issue and I can't get it working properly. I am the point of having logged out, but can't log back in.

So you are logged into your mac, but logged out of iCloud in settings and cannot log back in again?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
OK. This is what I did, but I caveat it with the fact that I have no idea what else this may mess up. I know it will delete all passwords you have stored in keychain, and I read that it could stop access to secured/private notes if you use them.

Launch "Keychain Access" via spotlight search
Ensure "login" is selected in the left pane under "Keychains"
In the "Keychain Access" menu, select "Preferences"
Click "Reset my Default Keychain", and follow what it asks you to do to confirm.
Reboot and then try iCloud again.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparkomatic

Ajejoide

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
OK. This is what I did, but I caveat it with the fact that I have no idea what else this may mess up. I know it will delete all passwords you have stored in keychain, and I read that it could stop access to secured/private notes if you use them.

In the "Keychain Access" menu, select "Properties"
Click "Reset my Default Keychain", and follow what it asks you to do to confirm.

Done. Worked perfectly, I finally got logged in!

Thanks!

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
After "upgrading" to macOS Sierra beta, I noticed that Photos in the iCloud settings was disabled. Tried to enable it but get an error "iCloud Photo Library is only available on Mac OS Standard and Mac OS Extended formatted volumes"

My disk is Mac OS Extended (Journalled, Encrypted) as it was under El Cap ... Anyone else having this issue before I log a bug.

Thanks

I have the same issue. I logged out of iCloud and it wouldn't even let me log back in. Not a rare issue. I am also having that problem.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015

In the "Keychain Access" menu, select "Properties"

Holy ****. Came here looking for a solution to this issue. This worked. How the hell did you figure it out? Lots of trial and error? Anyway, thanks so much (btw select "Preferences" not "Properties").

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Holy ****. Came here looking for a solution to this issue. This worked. How the hell did you figure it out? Lots of trial and error? Anyway, thanks so much (btw select "Preferences" not "Properties").

I had some weirdness many many moons ago with iCloud when I was playing with iCloud Keychain, and this was the solution to that so though I'd try it.

I've corrected my post, thanks for the heads-up, I typed it from memory lol.

sqvarepants

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
Madrid
I have a problem with people, I've already organized in macos sierra, but at the iphone with iOS 10 don't show any face, like I have to configure it again. Won't synchronize anyway.

Any one have the same issue?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have a problem with people, I've already organized in macos sierra, but at the iphone with iOS 10 don't show any face, like I have to configure it again. Won't synchronize anyway.

Any one have the same issue?

For maximum visibility, I would suggest you add this as a new thread as opposed to tagging it onto this one. Will increase your chances of getting a fix

Reactions: sqvarepants

Currawong

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
Fukuoka, Japan (was Australia)
I had the same incorrect in High Sierra after moving my boot disk to an external SSD drive and pointing my user account home folder to the old disk. I guess the Migration Assistant might have fixed this, had I intended to migrate everything, but I don't think it would allow importing a user folder to a different drive.

I cloned my home folder to a non-encrypted APFS disk and yet the library had the same error.

I discovered that I could create a new account on my computer and sync all the iCloud photos with zero issues if I logged into iCloud, so I knew for certain that it was something buried in settings in my account.

I ended up deleting the settings files for all the related apps and services, after which it worked fine. Specifically inside the Library of my home folder (otherwise referred to as ~/Library or /Users/username/Library) inside the Containers folder (where settings and files of apps and services are isolated for security) I removed the following folders:

com.apple.cloudphotosd
com.apple.photolibraryd
com.apple.Photos
com.apple.Photos.librarychooserservice

The latter didn't seem to have any settings in it, so it was probably unnecessary but at the time my idea was to remove all settings for all Apple-related photos apps and services.

I logged out and logged in for good measure, then I could re-enable Cloud sync without the obviously incorrect error. The only down side was that it had to sync my entire library again. It says that it is uploading all of my photos again, but this is obviously not true. It did use quite a bit of bandwidth but it wasn't as much as a whole library upload would take, so I'm fairly certain that it was really actually synchronising the local and iCloud libraries.

Now if only I knew the specific setting that had to be deleted to fix this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.