Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Honestly, is it just me, or is iCloud Photos on iOS (iPhone 6s Plus & iPad Air II), just the worst invention?

I have around 3.5GB of photos. And, in review, most of them are duplicates. I certainly didn't take duplicates. But, in looking in iCloud, there are plenty of duplicates. Very frustrating. I tried turning iCloud 'off', and then back on again, and it appears, I'd need to wait 29 days plus, prior to turning it back on. Failing to do so, and all the photos I'd deleted, return to my iPhone and iPad.

Currently, I'm in the process of testing Google Photos. One down side I see already, I can't take a photo, and merely 'store' it in a folder in Google Photos. Unless in due course, it will sync to Google Photos?

Anyway, all this to ask, what Photo application local and cloud based, are you using?

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Honestly, is it just me, or is iCloud Photos on iOS (iPhone 6s Plus & iPad Air II), just the worst invention?

It works well for me.

I have around 3.5GB of photos. And, in review, most of them are duplicates. I certainly didn't take duplicates. But, in looking in iCloud, there are plenty of duplicates.

What do you mean by 'duplicates'? Where exactly are you seeing these?

The summary views in iCloud Photos are not folders.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

I have around 3.5GB of photos. And, in review, most of them are duplicates. I certainly didn't take duplicates. But, in looking in iCloud, there are plenty of duplicates. Very frustrating. I tried turning iCloud 'off', and then back on again, and it appears, I'd need to wait 29 days plus, prior to turning it back on. Failing to do so, and all the photos I'd deleted, return to my iPhone and iPad.

Currently, I'm in the process of testing Google Photos. One down side I see already, I can't take a photo, and merely 'store' it in a folder in Google Photos. Unless in due course, it will sync to Google Photos?

Anyway, all this to ask, what Photo application local and cloud based, are you using?
Do you have two of each photo? Maybe HDR is turned on.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I'm going to delete all my photos and albums. Then I'll reupload them from my Windows computer to iCloud etc.

Sounds like this is merely my issue and I've done something wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.