Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gta1216

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
I recently turned on iCloud storage and also subscribed to iCloud for additional storage (50gb). After reading some post and articles, I am even more confused now.

I used to backup my iPhone using iTunes, but I do not have a habit of backing up my phone on a regular basis. I have a lot of photos, videos, notes, text messages, etc on my phone that I do not want to lose.

I went to Apple ID under device info, it shows my iCloud Backup is turned on. Does it mean everything on my phone is backed up? What other settings do I have to tweak?

When I looked at my Notes, they are all stored on my iPhone instead of iCloud. Do I have to move them?

From what I read, iCloud is not a backup, but rather the iPhone sync with iCloud. That means if I deleted something from my iPhone, it'll also be deleted from my iCloud. If my understand is correct, is there any workaround? I subscribed to 50gb under the impression that it was a backup and NOT sync.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iCloud backup is a sync feature in essence, with the iPhone iPad being the data pusher. That means any change made on iPhone iPad will be pushed to iCloud backup in the next backup cycle. You can only pull backup data on a factory reset iPhone iPad or brand new devices. Since iCloud backup is managed and controlled by Apple, you cannot have multiple backups of the same device or the ability to restore some data. You can choose what to backup in the setting though.

As for your Photo, if you don’t turn on iCloud photo (which would be secretly turn on anyways), then the backup includes those photos. Otherwise, backup doesn’t include photo.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I recently turned on iCloud storage and also subscribed to iCloud for additional storage (50gb). After reading some post and articles, I am even more confused now.

I used to backup my iPhone using iTunes, but I do not have a habit of backing up my phone on a regular basis. I have a lot of photos, videos, notes, text messages, etc on my phone that I do not want to lose.

I went to Apple ID under device info, it shows my iCloud Backup is turned on. Does it mean everything on my phone is backed up? What other settings do I have to tweak?

When I looked at my Notes, they are all stored on my iPhone instead of iCloud. Do I have to move them?

From what I read, iCloud is not a backup, but rather the iPhone sync with iCloud. That means if I deleted something from my iPhone, it'll also be deleted from my iCloud. If my understand is correct, is there any workaround? I subscribed to 50gb under the impression that it was a backup and NOT sync.
It back ups device data (what you've selected to be included in iCloud such as notes, reminders, contacts, messages, etc) and app data. It does not backup the apps themselves.

But you have to turn it on (if it's not on already).

Apple ID>Device Backups.

2022-09-30 06.53.16.png 2022-09-30 06.53.33.png

Note…no backups will occur if the device is NOT connected to WiFi and LOCKED. Sooner or later you'll get a badge warning on the Settings app that your phone has not backed up in 'X' days if the device is not on WiFi and locked at the time the backup goes off (usually in the early morning hours).

Also, you can pick and choose which app data you want to exclude. Understand that any time you install a new app, Backup will AUTOMATICALLY add that app's data to the backup. If you don't want that, you have to manually go into the Settings and exclude it.

gta1216

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
In the Notes app, all of my notes are under the "On My iPhone" section, not under the "iCloud" section. What's the difference, and do I have to move them to the "iCloud" section?

Since all backups (text, photos, videos, notes, etc) are basically a sync of what's on my phone, and if I delete them from my phone, it'll be deleted from my iCloud backup copy. Does anyone have any workaround? Any recommendation for a 3rd party software or something that can backup the data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.