Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoMorpheus

Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Is anyone bothered by these two different locations to save notes? I've been trying to figure out a way to just have one place for notes. Of course I want them to be backed up on iCloud so I can look at whatever notes I have on my iPad. Does "On My Mac" have to be there on the sidebar of Notes? I don't see why. And if I hide it—by dragging the pane away—it comes back out again when I relaunch the app. So infuriating.

Thoughts?...:)

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
When I relaunch the application i dont see the other save locations.
screenshot20120805at122.png

kronborg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Copenhagen
After enabling iCloud notes, the empty 'on my Mac' account disappeared entirely (perhaps first after a restart). The account pane is gone, and will only return if I turn on note syncing with another account, I guess. Was/is your 'on my Mac' account empty?

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Yeah, I realized I also just had iCould notes setup in accounts. I've unchecked notes from both Exchange and Gmail.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Use something besides iCloud. Dropbox, Evernote, pretty much anything else. The Apple Notes application pales in comparison to other notetaking apps, so you won't be missing anything, and it will work more intuitively.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Is anyone bothered by these two different locations to save notes? I've been trying to figure out a way to just have one place for notes. Of course I want them to be backed up on iCloud so I can look at whatever notes I have on my iPad. Does "On My Mac" have to be there on the sidebar of Notes? I don't see why. And if I hide it—by dragging the pane away—it comes back out again when I relaunch the app. So infuriating.

You'll need to delete all the notes saved to On My Mac first and then it disappears. It works like the Calendar and Contacts apps.

On the iphone, If you turn off iCloud notes and then turn them back on, the local ones are merged into iCloud for you. Pretty sure it works the same on the Mac. That way you don't have to worry about transferring the ones you want to keep.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

I don't have On My Mac but I have Gmail/Notes. :confused:

----------

Use something besides iCloud. Dropbox, Evernote, pretty much anything else. The Apple Notes application pales in comparison to other notetaking apps, so you won't be missing anything, and it will work more intuitively.

Not a good advice. I'm an active Evernote user but still find value in Notes.

GoGamecocks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
Not a good advice. I'm an active Evernote user but still find value in Notes.

Depends on the user I guess. I use Evernote for lengthy notes, like when I take notes on chapters of the Bible during my reading. But I use the Apple Notes app for when I want to make a quick list of things, like a tally on who will be playing pick-up basketball on Friday so I can see if we need to invite an extra player or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.