Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atad6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I did a search and didn't find any topics on this program. It got good ratings on macupdate:

http://www.alitacrew.org/icyclone/

It seems to combine features of both smcfantrol and fancontrol. I like it because of the interface, auto fan mode and the fact that it's easy to uninstall. I was wondering if anyone else has used this and what their experience is with this program. also this may be in the wrong forum, but are there any side effects to using an auto mode? it seems to change the fan speed in small increments, which i guess happens in manual mode too. Right now my fants are running at 2300k at 49c which is a lot cooler than before. That doesn't seem too high but I guess i'm paranoid about burning out the fans. I suppose it's better than the temps of my computer getting up to 80-90c under full load, I never thought that could be good for the processor. Anyway, a lot of random thoughts here, I just wanted to know others thoughts on this program and auto controlling the fans.

atad6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
what sort of bugs? i haven't experienced any yet and would like to know if there are any serious enough to make me consider using an alternative.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
If its working for you there isn't any reason you shouldn't use it.

The biggest error was when I tried to allow it to store my login info in the keychain. It crashed with an "unexpected error" dialogue everytime. The auto-mode stopped working after a while too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.