1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Ideas for a computer science project

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Dman90, Jun 27, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I need some ideas for my computer science project.

I want it to be database based.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks.

Dman.

2. Moderator

robbieduncan

Staff Member

I think you'll have to give us more information. How long should this project take? At what level? For example I could suggest you implement your own RDMS but that might be way too long/difficult.

3. macrumors 68040

lee1210

An auto-indexing system based on tracking of poorly performing queries, their explain plans, and what index will provide the most improvement for the smallest disk cost without over-specializing to a particular query. The optimizer itself can't negatively affect the performance of the system and the indexes must be added live.

GO!

-Lee

4. macrumors 603

You could demonstrate a SQL injection attack, and the mitigation of it.

Google search terms: little bobby tables

We could use something like that in this very forum. Or was the original post the inspiration?

5. macrumors newbie

a bit of background

Hi,

i'm a final year computer science student is London.

I wanted to do a final year project based on database technologies.

So far, I've been thinking of creating a website that connects to the database and does something smart.

thanks.

6. macrumors regular

well that narrows it down...;)

7. Moderator

robbieduncan

Staff Member

That sounds amazingly generic. Have you asked your department for ideas? Examples of what scores well?

My final year project at Edinburgh was to implement an Agent-Oriented programming language in Concurrent ML.

8. macrumors newbie

no I have not asked my department yet. I start uni again in september and wanted some ideas before that.

I want some ideas for a project that uses databases, any ideas.

9. macrumors regular

Well the "website connected to a database" is the least interesting part of what you have so far... the "smart" part is where you need to do some brainstorming.

10. macrumors 603