Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Since no one makes a backlight smart connector keyboard for the iPad Pro, I’m looking for a portable led light that I can use while typing in poorly lit areas. Kind of like now, my family is asleep and I’m not turning on lights that would wake them up while I work. Touch typing only gets you so far!

If anyone has found a solution that works for them, I’d love to hear it. right now I’m using my iphone’s built-in light to light up the keyboard. Sort of works with it leaned up against my iPad but my fingers get in the way of the light.

Do not suggest that I get a Bluetooth keyboard. I’ve had those with previous iPads and have a strong hate for them due to leggings and intermittent disconnect/reconnect cycles.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I thought that Logitech sells a backlit keyboard that uses the smart connector. I think the name varies depending on what size pro you have but one of them is called the slim combo.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Logitech makes both the Create and the Slim Combo. The Create tended to scratch my iPad screen but the slim combo is alright.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I thought that Logitech sells a backlit keyboard that uses the smart connector. I think the name varies depending on what size pro you have but one of them is called the slim combo.

Logitech makes both the Create and the Slim Combo. The Create tended to scratch my iPad screen but the slim combo is alright.

I forget to mention the really bad reviews that the Logitech keyboard has gotten. I did my normal check on 3 different review sites along with reddit posts and even Macforums posts. They all consistently said that it was really clunky and didn’t work consistently. That put me off of the keyboard.

So...back to my question - portable LED light?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I forget to mention the really bad reviews that the Logitech keyboard has gotten. I did my normal check on 3 different review sites along with reddit posts and even Macforums posts. They all consistently said that it was really clunky and didn’t work consistently. That put me off of the keyboard.

I have one of these and it works well as a mini desk light (not just for books):

https://mightybright.com/collections/book-lights/products/xtraflex2book-light

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-40511-XtraFlex2-Light/dp/1933622717

It has a clip but can stand alone and uses batteries or an AC adapter.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

In fairness, the slim combo is actually pretty good. Not pretty nor does it feel nice when you hold the device, but it has multiple angles for the display tilt and a detachable backlit keyboard - which in my opinion types much nicer than the Apple Smart thingy.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
In fairness, the slim combo is actually pretty good. Not pretty nor does it feel nice when you hold the device, but it has multiple angles for the display tilt and a detachable backlit keyboard - which in my opinion types much nicer than the Apple Smart thingy.
On paper it sounds amazing but I've read a ton more bad reviews as far as general user experieince goes than I have good reviews. Plus doesn't it triple the thickness of the ipad.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.