Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugoreynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
wondered if its possible to make your own dvd menus using photoshop and use them in idvd. is idvd the best software in its class or are there better 3rd party versions i could choose ? how far can you go with idvd, has anyone found it limiting and upgraded to the pro version ?

Applespider

macrumors G4
You can do... just drop your Photoshop image into the background of a (basic) theme and then rather than using the default buttons, make up your own images and link to them as buttons.

It's not ideal and you can't get terribly clever with it but depends how individual you want your theme to be.

hugoreynolds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
ah, so you can't have the whole menu screen as your image, it'll only be inside a box area within one of apples themes ? what about blending in movie files or animations into menu screens ? thanks

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
live4ever said:
You'd need DVD Studio Pro to do what you want easily - you can hack the iDVD themes but it's a real pain.

Here's a site with a bunch of good articles:
http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=36469
From what you seem to be after, DVDSP is the route to go. I just completed a project last week with background/menu/button/fonts all revamped to comprise a customized menu. You're aware too, that you can go in to the individual folder/package of the iDVD themes and import them in to DVDSP? There are several how to links though I don't have one on hand.

kineticpast

macrumors member
May 13, 2005
hugoreynolds said:
ah, so you can't have the whole menu screen as your image, it'll only be inside a box area within one of apples themes ? what about blending in movie files or animations into menu screens ? thanks
No, that wasn't what Applespider was referring to. You can change the entire menu screen background and you can add movie files. Either click on the Menu button and drag your image or movie file into the top well or even simpler, just drag the file straight to the background.

If you want to perfectly place buttons on your new layout make sure you select 'Free positioning' from the Buttons page.

Definitely play around with iDVD before springing for DVD Studio Pro as unlike the two previous posters I don't get the impression you are after that much control. DVD SP is great, but really overkill for what you want to do right now.

When I used to use iDVD (an older version), it did bug me occasionally in that it didn't allow me to NOT have a menu, doesn't sound like this will be your problem though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.