Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Hi,

Got a movie from FCP (put in 13 chapter markers), imported into iDVD. All went fine.

It creates a sub menu like it's supposed to "Scene Selection". It says "Scenes 1-9" with an arrow at the bottom, which leads to "Scenes 10-13".

What I want to do is to make 3 scene selection menus instead of 2. The first with 4 (click an arrow), the next with 5, the next with 4.

I'm using iDVD 5 with Tiger.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Ok, now I've moved most of the scenes to the 2nd sub menu of the 2.
I just need to add a 3rd "scene selection sub menu".

At the bottom of the 1st scene selection it looks like this

< >

(LINES preset)

At the bottom of the second menu it looks like this

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
well, my work around was to add more than 6 new chapter markers, and re-output the movie. Then the menus are 3 deep and I can now move the real chapter markers around and delete the fake ones.

Not a good way to do it, but it saves me buying dvd studio pro for what I need to do.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
When you hit the "next" button while you're playing your DVD, it'll probably navigate to the "dummy" chapter markers you've set (although you eliminated their buttons in the menus). Please test it. If I'm wrong in my guess, well then your workaround would be a good way to do it.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Rod Rod said:
When you hit the "next" button while you're playing your DVD, it'll probably navigate to the "dummy" chapter markers you've set (although you eliminated their buttons in the menus). Please test it. If I'm wrong in my guess, well then your workaround would be a good way to do it.

He could export the movie with the dummy extra markers, set up the three parts, then re-export the movie with the correct number of markers. It should then work like he wants.

I really want DVD Studio myself. *wishes for Final Cut Studio*

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Raven VII said:
He could export the movie with the dummy extra markers, set up the three parts, then re-export the movie with the correct number of markers. It should then work like he wants.
In between you'd close the iDVD project, re-export the movie, then re-open the iDVD project, right?

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Rod Rod said:
In between you'd close the iDVD project, re-export the movie, then re-open the iDVD project, right?

Rod Rod said:

Very good points.. I will try this tonight. I think I may end up going with 2 screens instead of 3 depending on the hassle. I don't want those extra markers to be there, and I don't want to pay for DVD Studio Pro right now.

I have one other question, is there really a difference between making the movie "better quality" vs. "more compatible with players" (can't remember the setting name, but it wasn't on iDVD 3, and I just upgraded Sunday. I read something about this not being a good indicator of quality nor compatibility.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
fartheststar said:
I have one other question, is there really a difference between making the movie "better quality" vs. "more compatible with players" (can't remember the setting name, but it wasn't on iDVD 3, and I just upgraded Sunday. I read something about this not being a good indicator of quality nor compatibility.
I don't remember a "more compatible with players" option, but I do recall the "best performance" and "best quality" options. Here's an article about it: http://dvd.kentidwell.com/?page_id=42

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Best Performance vs. Best quality iDVD

Rod Rod said:
I don't remember a "more compatible with players" option, but I do recall the "best performance" and "best quality" options. Here's an article about it: http://dvd.kentidwell.com/?page_id=42

I read this article, tinkered around and now have another question:

So I got around to burning two DVD's - one at best performance (encode in background), and one at best quality.

The "Best Quality" one encoded when I made the DVD. In the "Asset section" it said it was 0.7 GB for my movie.

I switched it to "Best Performance" (encode in background) and the "Asset section said the movie was 1.4 GB. Once encoded, it stayed at 1.4 GB.

I watched both and the "Best Performance" had one glitch where the sound and picture cut out for 1 second within the first 10 seconds. Naturally you'd think "use Best Quality" then.

Psychologically I fear that "Best Quality" is not the best quality because the size of the asset was cut in half as compared to "Best Performance". I don't know if I can "See" the difference (I think I can) or if I'm making it up in my head. Can someone explain why "Best Quality" uses half the space for the same asset (movie) and does that affect the quality of the output?

Spec of Movie: 20 minute short DVCAM, -> exported as a non-self contained FCP movie from FCP 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.