Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
is there any point to me not uninstalling iDVD? i mean.. i don't even have a camcorder! plus i'm sure i read that it won't work with an external dvd burner.

so.. any input?

superduperjacob

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
Sweden
jhomayne said:
is there any point to me not uninstalling iDVD? i mean.. i don't even have a camcorder! plus i'm sure i read that it won't work with an external dvd burner.

so.. any input?
Sounds safe for you to throw it away and free 1 GB of space on your hard drive.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I don't have a super drive in my PB. I think i might as well uninstall it too. If i ever need it again, i'll put in the restore disk and re-install it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FWIW:

You can right (or control) click on iDVD and select "Show Package Contents". Go into the iDVD->Contents->Resources folder. Do a "List" view and sort by Kind. What takes up all the room (literally - 99% of the entire iDVD size) are the "iDVD Theme" files (actually packages). You can delete and/or burn to CD those you don't think you'll need. Then, you can retain iDVD (in case you just want to play with it) without taking up 1.8GB or so. And, if you burn the rest to CD, you'll have them if you need them. Or you can copy them back from any fellow Mac user.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iDVD and an external burner or disc image

NO!
Although iDVD dosn't officaly burn to an external burner, there seems to have been some easter egging involved, and a lot of technical mumbojumbo that I didn't catch later, you can download two dinkly little pakages to enable it.

It is called, I belive, HPfurz, but a google search for iDVD easter egg will get you it. After you download it, take the photoshop files out of the folder they come in and place them into your home folder. Then, make up a dvd. When you are finished, hold down Control and click on File->Burn DVD...
Voila! A menu pops up that allows you to burn to a disk image or external burner. I prefer the disk image, then use a hard drive to move it to a computer with a Superdrive. Once there, Toast does its magic and I have a DVD! :D

These doohickies seem to work in conjunction with iDVD, but on occasion iDVD crashes, and you have to start over again. To try and prevent this, make sure that the computer never goes to sleep, never turns the display off whilst burning, and dosn't go into Screensaver mode. But at least, if iDVD barfs on the disc here, it isn't really a disc, (if you do the disc image option). :cool:

I don't think anyone will get angry at me for spreading the word... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.