Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VAG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Greece
I bought a Dual G4 with SuperDrive recently, I formated the Jaguar 10.2 it had installed the previous owner, I installed Panther 10.3.2 .
I wonder why the iDVD don't appear to be installed since it's Superdrive available.
I can't find iDVD on Panther 4 disks to install it seperate, and I don't have iLife.

Where can I find iDVD as a seperate application to download and install it?

Thanks in advance.
VAG

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
iDVD is about a gig in size, and is not a free application, so there's nowhere you're going to be able to download it.

It should, however, be on the "Software Restore" disc that came with your computer. If you do a straight restore you'll end up with 10.2 as well, which you don't want to do, so your options are to either restore to a different partition/disc, copy iDVD over, the reformat that partition, or find a way to restore only iDVD.

The latter is obviously preferable, and I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know how to do it. Try searching these forums or on the web, though--I know others have had the same issue, so answers are out there.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
You don't have to reinstall 10.2 to get iDVD. Two of the disks that came with the computer are the OS, but the other 3 are the actual Software Restore disks, which have OS 9 and all the other software, including iDVD.

If you don't have the restore disks then you'll have to buy iLife--but that's not such a bad thing.

VAG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Greece
Thanks my friends, I will try this option "Software restore" from the disks, otherwise I'll go buy iLife'04 wich is cheap and good to have in place for any reason.

I own DVD Studio Pro 1.5 and Final Cut Pro 4 for professional DVD authoring but the iDVD is handy for home use ;)

Thanks again.
LaterZzz

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I ran into the iDVD problem last night as well... Apple's way of avoiding confussion for non-superdrive owners.. still, I think it's dumb.

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Someone posted the following on a different forum a while back. I haven't tried it out, but it sounded useful, so i kept hold of it. Hopefully it'll work for you.

The Void

v
v
v
v

Hi,
You can get iDVD from your install discs, without having to reinstall
everything - here's how to do it...
1: go to http://www.versiontracker.com & download Tinkertool.
2: launch tinkertool. click on the finder tab & select the box 'show hidden
& system files' - restart the finder. This will allow you to see content on
your install CD that was unavailable before.
3: Double click on your install CD. iDVD will be in a (previously invisible
folder)called .images & will appear in the form of a disc image (dmg) - just
double click the folder image to open it..
4:Inside the disk image are 2 folders (applications & library).
5: In the applications folder is the iDVD application. Copy this to the
applications folder on your HD.
6: Open the library folder. Inside is another folder called 'receipts' &
inside the receipt folder is iDVD install receipt.Place this in your
receipts folder located in Computer HD/library/receipts.
Congratulations, you've just installed iDVD.
To put your finder back to normal simply relaunch Tinkertool - uncheck the
'show hidden & system files' box & restart your finder - Bobs a Job!
This method also works for itunes, Iphoto 7 any other bundled Apple iApps.
hope this helps

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Wow did I scre up last night...

So I got home, and my iMovie project was still open.. I saved the project, minimized it, and then stuck in the software restore dvd.
Went through the process and installed iDVD.
The iDVD installer quit and I clicked the iMovie icon.

Nothing.

Clicked the iMovie icon again.

Nothing.

"****.. alright, I'll just force quit the app.. I saved the project it'll be fine."

Force quit. and click the iMovie icon.

iMovie launches and abruptly crashes. Giving me the option to notify apple.

Long stoy short.. the iMovie project is dead. I have the clips still, but they're in bits and pieces and no logical order. I have a Quick time file that was VERY close to my finished goal.. but everytime I try to import it into iMovie it fails out.
So I have to try to figure out a way of editing this quicktime film and getting it on a dvd.
Tonight I'm going to try importing it into Final Cut Express, exporting it as a different quicktime movie, and importing that into iMovie and then iDVD.

I don't have DVD PRO...

So the point of this thread is... CLOSE iMOVIE BEFORE INSTALLING iDVD!

Damnit I'm a retard.
:(

VAG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Greece
cr2sh sorry to read this :(

Anyway, I ordered iLife '04 and till Friday I'll have it here, thanks all for your imput and The Void thanks for the tip about this nice little app :)

greetings,
VAG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.