Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
benthewraith said:
I disagree. $150 more or higher. Remember, "unions", think about the "unions".

I disagree. Unions are dinosaurs. Look at what they have done to the airline and auto industry. Unions are not making traction at all with new companies so I doubt they would in our hypothetical company.

I agree the bigger problem is getting all the components which are currently also being made in the overseas markets. shipping 4-5 components to the US would be more expensive than just the 1 shipment for the final product.

So I would say 30-40% more if our hypothetical company just assembles and 50-70% more if our hypothetial company produces all parts and assembles or gets only US parts and then assembles.

shipping, wages, benefits, real estate taxes on the facilities, loss of foreign income tax benefits, paying tariffs to exports items back to asia, etc all add significant costs.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
I doubt the price would be exponentially higher. They could only be assmebled here, not 100% made in the USA, as many of the chemicals required to make most consumer electrionics are illegal in this country.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
interpolic said:
Don't forget, as well as the price being higher, the build quality would also be lower.

For example the difference between US made and Japanese made cars, asian workers tend to be more efficient than american ones as well as being cheaper.

Nope. Most "Japanese" cars are made in the U.S.. Most "U.S." cars are made in Mexico.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.