Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
My ideal would be same size as the 13inch model but with a razor thin bezel (read: edge-to-edge screen) so that it has a 15inch screen! Best of both :cool:

Adam

I've always felt 13 inches was the sweet spot (... that's what she said?). Not too small, not too big... but if 15 inches could squeezed into a bezel-less lid on the 13 - that would be a whole new level of epic.

But then of course, if they could squeeze a 13in screen into a bezel-less lid on the 11 - well, I'd probably go for that. haha

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
i've never understood why people buy 15" laptops. I mean if they really think they need that much screen....but who does? laptops are supposed to be portable, I know that I don't want to be dragging around the extra weight.

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
But then of course, if they could squeeze a 13in screen into a bezel-less lid on the 11 - well, I'd probably go for that.

I'll second that. If we take Steve's comments from a couple years back about netbooks being unergonomic plastic junk and then we have a look at my 11" Air, it is clearly Steve's definition of "the smallest acceptable Mac laptop". Mine too. My hackintosh netbook is now in the "machines for friends with computer problems" pile (& it'll get ubuntu on it if they need it; no way I would give a hackintosh to someone that hasn't already done it themselves).

Give me an 11" Air with the biggest screen possible, please.

Now, there are two opposing forces on the road to this goal:

- If we look at the lid of the 11" Air (& any Air since the beginning), the lid starts to taper down to the super-thin edge more or less exactly at the point where the display panel itsself stops. This is what it looks like inside; it is very different from any existing laptop. Presumably if they had access to any technology that would allow them to make it any wider than they already did without making the lid chunkier (i.e. without the sexy taper to the edge that makes the machine look even thinner than it already is), they would have done so.

- on the plus side, Jonathan Ive has blown industrial designers' minds numerous times in the past, & will continue to do so.

But for the moment Air-land is a trade off between lid thickness and bezel width...

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
I can see the point of the MBP going SSD, with the slimmer design but it would need to be a powerhouse CPU.

A 15" MBA I don't really see the need for it.
If the Air is meant to be an ultra-portable then 15" screen doesn't make sense to me.

I like having a Mac Pro in my recording studio and the 11" MBA I picked up for portable/location recording.
Works great.

narayanagame

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
i would buy it if it has 10hrs battery life with discrete graphics and ports equal to MBP 15 and weigh less than 4lbs and price less than 2000$:D

I dont get when people say all ultraportables should be less than 13inch.that isnt true.ultraportables main need is to have less weight with sufficient power to get the required work done.why do people think size is imp for ultraportable so much??thats bcoz less size obviously means less weight and more portable.

If there was 15inch laptop that weights similar to 13inch laptop i cant find a reason why people wont buy it.you may say size is more imp as smaller size is more useful in constraint space but in practice i have always found that if there was space sufficient to use 13inch then there was always sufficient space for 15inch.

people go to 15inch laptops or higher coz they need bigger size screen and bit more power than say 13inch.but people choosing 15inches ll always look for lightweight laptop they could find and there isnt any laptop that is less than 4lb for 15inches but if there was one people ll buy it and i can see this coming when ivy bridge rolls out.

dell already is releasing 15inch XPS that is slim and light weight but wont be comparable to MBA.:D but nevertheless its a start;)

light weight 15inch laptops has plenty of future:D.it may not start with 15MBA though:cool:

guada54

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
Definitely

I would definitely buy it.

You should consider the fact that the MBAs are replacing notebooks. They arent meant to be netbooks. So a 15" MBA is obvious and awesome.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
The whole idea about a "portable" computer is based on SIZE and WEIGHT. A 15" MBA would only weigh less than other 15" laptops. The size would be more or less identical.

I see no reason why Apple would make a 15" MBA, therefore would obviously never buy one. If I just wanted a laptop with power and that isn't a brick to carry around I'd go with a 13" or 15 MBP. If i want some strictly for portable computing, I'll go with my current 11' MBA. The 13" MBA also makes sense but anything bigger defeats the purpose.

Also with the resolution both the 11" and the 13" are capable of now, I don't see any other reason to go for a 15" unless you absolutely need that size + higher res option. Just increase the font/icon sizes if its hard on your eyes :)

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I would definitely buy it.

You should consider the fact that the MBAs are replacing notebooks. They arent meant to be netbooks. So a 15" MBA is obvious and awesome.

Your right in that MBAs are not netbooks, they are notebooks. You wrong in that they are replacing ALL notebooks. They are replacing potential netbook buyers and some 13" notebook buyers. There are still plenty of people who will always need the extra beef in a 15" or 17" laptop (photographers, videographers etc) for on the go work. Though I'd still argue that the MBA is finding a home in a lot of photographers workflow now.

If anything, the iPad is replacing the whole "idea" of a notebook these days...

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
It's about mobile screen real estate, the 15 or 17" offer more obviously, some people like that.

Just because you think it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it is, many people would like the option, so be it.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
It's about mobile screen real estate, the 15 or 17" offer more obviously, some people like that.

Just because you think it's a bad idea, doesn't mean it is, many people would like the option, so be it.

Not sure if this is a reply to me or not but I never said it was a bad idea. I just said I don't see why Apple would do it. The title of the thread is "If Apple released a 15" MBA, would you buy it?". My answer is: I don't think Apple will make a 15" MBA (for the reasons stated above) and therefore would not buy one.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
It would have been nice to have 12" mba and a 14" mba. With these, the mba's would have a little more screen height. Also, the 14" would have been more of a differentiation from the mbp.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Coming from a 15'' and a 13'' pro I would find it useless to have a 15'' air. I find the 13'' perfect for everything I need. I know I do not need anything extra or a size increase.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

None of those answer his question, he wanted to know if we'd buy one, not "Will Apple make a 15" MBA"

i've never understood why people buy 15" laptops. I mean if they really think they need that much screen....but who does? laptops are supposed to be portable, I know that I don't want to be dragging around the extra weight.

17" Laptop here :D

hotcocoa

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
A MBA by any other Name

It seems that the 15" MBA is somewhat controversial. Some people think it would be great, while others argue that given the size of a 15" MBA it would hardly justify the air name.

What is not so controversial is the idea that Apple will eventually drop the optical drive from their laptop. So what would a 15" MBP without an optical drive look like? Obviously a lot of room could be saved, so what might Apple want to do with the space? How about make the machines thinner and lighter? Definitely. What about longer battery life? Probably. What about adding an SSD+HD? Maybe. What if instead they go SSD-only and save the space of both drives?

I think people at Apple would love to see a machine like that. I think the biggest question is whether or not the machine will be called a MBA and how soon we will see it.

The calculus at Apple is whether the current MBP laptop market would tolerate machines without optical drives (and perhaps without rotational HDs as well). If the answer is yes, then I believe they will soon release a 15" MBP that is, for all practical purposes, a 15" MBA. If the answer is no, then Apple could decide to keep the current MBP line relatively unchanged and release a 15" MBA. However this approach has one significant problem.

Releasing a 15" MBA alongside a relatively unchanged 15" MBP would create two products with significant overlap. One of the keys to Apple's success is their ability to create well-delineated product lines. Delineated product lines avoid a potential customer from feeling overwhelmed by too many choices. Apple may choose not to release a 15" MBA simply to avoid customer confusion.

With all that would I want a 15" MBA (or a similar in concept MBP 15")?
YES!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I expect a 15" MBA...but maybe not yet

I think what would make a 15" MBA successful is an edge to edge screen. If Apple (sometime in the future) were able to get a 15" laptop screen that would fit in the body of the current 13.3" MBA I think it would be a big hit (and a lot of the people here saying they'd never buy it... would actually consider it).

(And it would not be cheap)

kholman128

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
15" Macbook Air

No! Why would the question even be considered.
Maybe a lighter thinner Macbook Pro!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.