Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
with the transition over to intel, what is to stop me from building my own mac? the major problem i am having is learning how a mac does a "POST":confused: drivers are obviously different but what else can stop me?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Don't apple tie their operating system to the hardware via a chip? I'm sure I read that somewhere, and that's why you can't build your own mac. Don't you think if it could be done people would have already? I know there are ways of getting OS X to run on PCs, but it's illegal and doesn't run that well from what I've heard

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well its illegal, and has been discussed at length in various threads here on MacRumors. even if you were able to get OS X installed on generic hardware, its unlikely that you'll achieve any stability at all.

cbrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
at this point i'm sure apple knows that their are people like me out there that want to try this. i guess i need to do more research to find out why its illegal. what gets me is that i could build a macpro for about $1600 (3Ghz) or buy it for $3200. i just spent $2500 on a macbook pro and had to send it off because it was making a bad ticking noise. mostly i want the ability to work on my own computer other than sending it out for 2 weeks, spending 50% less is also nice.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It doesn't really matter why it's illegal...it just is.

Section 2A of the OS X 10.4.4 License said:
This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.
License (PDF)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
cbrum said:
i guess i need to do more research to find out why its illegal.

Because Apple says it is in the license agreement. If Apple said you can't use your Mac on Mondays, and on the other days, in order to use the Mac, you must be wearing a red shirt and no pants, then not doing so would be illegal.

cbrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2006
guess i should read those things huh? thanks "wildcowboy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.