Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Keep my refurb MacBook that was delivered to me Saturday, or should I buy the new one? What do you guys think? I got $150 off the refurb, so it ended up costing me $950 before tax. Since the new ones obviously won't have any refurb models, then I would have to buy it new under education discount. If they aren't changing pricing, that would make the mid-grade MacBook that I got $1299-100=$1199. This would be $250 more than I paid for my MacBook.

Do you guys think that it would be wise to upgrade? What if the update is a simple processor update? Then again, what if it was aluminum case, multi touch trackpad, thinner, lighter, better processor, and lets say double the ram out of the box? This puts me in a position that I don't necessarily want to be in, however, I do have options because I'm still well within my 14 day return period. Any advice?

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
It's greedy to want to make the wisest computer purchase you can? :confused:

To the OP, we can't give you good advice until we see specs on whatever comes out tomorrow. It's pointless to speculate when we don't know which model will be updated tomorrow, or what that update will be.

I know, I know, but I just want to be ready. I will be on the phone with Apple if the circumstances put me in that position. I have a side question though. I have backed up everything on Time Machine. If I get a new MacBook, when it boots up it will ask me to import right? What will happen? Will it basically mirror my current setup? How about my programs, settings, programs I've installed, etc...?

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I just bought one last week, so I'll be a little bummed if they release a new one. Especially if they redesign the look! Ahh well, I still have a nice computer. I say yes get the new ones if you can. I mean why not? They'll likely be the same price anyways.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
just a suggestion.. after purchasing any apple product ( even if it's a gift card ):D...i STRONGLY suggest you stay away from this FORUM for a month or 2... don't go into any apple store as well...

ENJOY YOUR PURCHASE PEOPLE!! you deserve to be HAPPY... ahhH!:cool:

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
just a suggestion.. after purchasing any apple product ( even if it's a gift card ):D...i STRONGLY suggest you stay away from this FORUM for a month or 2... don't go into any apple store as well...

ENJOY YOUR PURCHASE PEOPLE!! you deserve to be HAPPY... ahhH!:cool:

While you make a good point, I am well within my return policy period, and if the update is a drastic one, I might be inclined to switch to the newer one. But once the return policy ends, I will definitely stick with this one, unless I have to sell it.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
dosent matter, because tomorrow will be a 32gb iphone and 64gb ipod touch

or how about an all silver ipod touch?

...with a scroll wheel?

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Keep my refurb MacBook that was delivered to me Saturday, or should I buy the new one? What do you guys think? I got $150 off the refurb, so it ended up costing me $950 before tax. Since the new ones obviously won't have any refurb models, then I would have to buy it new under education discount. If they aren't changing pricing, that would make the mid-grade MacBook that I got $1299-100=$1199. This would be $250 more than I paid for my MacBook.

Do you guys think that it would be wise to upgrade? What if the update is a simple processor update? Then again, what if it was aluminum case, multi touch trackpad, thinner, lighter, better processor, and lets say double the ram out of the box? This puts me in a position that I don't necessarily want to be in, however, I do have options because I'm still well within my 14 day return period. Any advice?

If they were to "Aluminize" the MacBook my 2.2ghz whitebook would be on eBay faster than a speeding bullet.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
If they were to "Aluminize" the MacBook my 2.2ghz whitebook would be on eBay faster than a speeding bullet.

See that's the thing, I'm still within my return policy, so I don't even have to throw it on eBay. I can just return it to them, upgrade, and use Time Machine to recover all the work and stuff I put on here the last three days. I think it might be worth it if the updates are anything substantial.

RatSalad

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Central Florida
I am in the same boat. I just got my 2.4 on Saturday. So now I am in the situation if I want to deal with this or not. All I can say is that I can't believe I have gone so long without one.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
While you make a good point, I am well within my return policy period, and if the update is a drastic one, I might be inclined to switch to the newer one. But once the return policy ends, I will definitely stick with this one, unless I have to sell it.

Why would you have to sell it? :confused:

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I did this return process when a better model of my car came out. I went to the dealership and demanded a new one. So they exchanged it. So I even tried it with my house! OMFG they exchanged it to a big and better model. So I'm visiting the idea about my wife. Why shouldn't it work? Upgrade to a new and better wife! ;)

Just keep it. :)

murc585

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I just bought my macbook 3 weeks ago. is there any way i can return it for the new ones?

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
I did this return process when a better model of my car came out. I went to the dealership and demanded a new one. So they exchanged it. So I even tried it with my house! OMFG they exchanged it to a big and better model. So I'm visiting the idea about my wife. Why shouldn't it work? Upgrade to a new and better wife! ;)

Just keep it. :)

sounds like a TV commercial i just saw..:D

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Better hit up ebay and list fast before the new release is announced.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
How can we help you make a decision without any information?

We do not know a single pertinent detail regarding the Macbook's that MAY arrive tomorrow.

I would say if it added an hour of battery life while increasing the processor 5-10% then sure make arrangements to sell to someone naive.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
I just bought one last week, so I'll be a little bummed if they release a new one. Especially if they redesign the look! Ahh well, I still have a nice computer. I say yes get the new ones if you can. I mean why not? They'll likely be the same price anyways.

i have a friend who bought a macbook like days before the new macbook came out, when it did, he called apple and they replaced the ibook with the macbook. so you can try that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.