Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have been trying to figure two differences between iMessage and WhatsApp because I have no options but to use both. I use iMessage 99.9 % of the time within the US, and WhatsApp 100% when texting or calling overseas. The differences that I encounter are as follows. I will start with iMessage.

1. iMessage:
a.
Lest say that I tap "Message" and search one of mi contacts, "Cathryn" (using a fictitious contact's name in this case). The iMessage screen shows- most times- the name properly capitalized as I have previously entered it in my "Contacts" folder. However, sometimes the name appears only in lowercase (not with a capital C for Cathryn). This happens more often than what I would like, and it slows down my texting speed.

b. Lest say that I tap Message once more, search for Cathryn again, the iMessage screen shows the right contact, then I tap the microphone and speak a voice text message: "Cathryn, I plan to drive home in a few minutes"
When I do so, the name "Katherine, I plan to drive home in a few minutes" appears on the screen instead.

Why would iMessage pick the name Katherine instead of the contact I have already chosen? After all, I already had the right screen and contact I wanted. The only difference is that I decided to "voice" the message instead of "type it."

2. WhatsApp: Does not have the problems above.

Please understand that I don't intent to argue with anybody about the differences between the two. All I want to do is ask to for your help. If you happen to know what I am doing wrong, would you please let me know?

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Imessage is a bit clunky compared to Whatsapp.
But also weigh in who owns Whatsapp, it might not be irrelevant.

I would recommend you having a look at Telegram or Signal.
The latter is a bit of a pain when swapping devices or if you wanna export data, but its a good alternative. Telegram iis also a good choice.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The reason Siri dictation spells Katherine is because Siri is not using your contact name as a hide to correct spelling. It is using the usual spelling for Katherine. Siri is working as built in that regard.
That makes sense to me, for I have been thinking of the possibility of Siri just guessing the name. I just don't understand why Siri's "brain" hasn't made the connection between the name that's already on the text screen as being the person one is calling or texting to.
Imessage is a bit clunky compared to Whatsapp.
But also weigh in who owns Whatsapp, it might not be irrelevant.

I would recommend you having a look at Telegram or Signal.
The latter is a bit of a pain when swapping devices or if you wanna export data, but its a good alternative. Telegram iis also a good choice.
Yes, I do understand that WhatsApp is quite intrusive in relation to anything the user says or writes. Perhaps WatsApp "fits-to the letter" the saying that, "there isn't such a thing as a free lunch" ;)

WhatsApp has a stronghold in the area of the personal data-gathering market. But international phone video/text/calls can be so expensive that it is difficult to resist the bait it presents to a lot of us. I have several family members living overseas. Some have retired in the US and have homes here, and overseas. International students around the world use WhatsApp, for the same reasons. If you ask me, it's scary to think about all the data about one's behavior and actions being gathered and sold each day.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Wow! You have made my day. I had no idea that I could help Siri that way.

Thanks a lot!

It took me awhile to have Siri understand the correct name. Even so, sometimes it picks the wrong name, so I have to tell "her" "Cathryn with a C." In this case I have to delete the letter "C" before I tap "Send." WhatsApp doesn't stumble like that. I guess that I will have to live with it :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.