Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hey guys so if you ordered your iPhone 6 or 6+ from AT&T and just moved your SIM card over from your old phone (then probably got a message telling you that you need a new SIM card and to visit an AT&T store but ignored it, like I initially did)...the old SIM card works but apparently does not support HD Voice per AT&T tech support.

You have to call in to activate the new SIM card if you bought the phone outright or did NEXT because if you try to do it online, it forces you into a 24 month contract.

This is only if you ordered from AT&T online, not if you ordered from Apple, or bought in an AT&T or Apple store.

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
HD Voice has very limited rollout right now, so it's not really a big deal (and somehow I doubt it's an issue at all)

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/hd-voice.html#fbid=OdyXF6bjljY

Its an ISSUE, I followed the instructions to activate, but was waiting a long time
For it to occur, so I put my 5s sim in the 6, everything worked fine even visual voice mail, ran a few test. I went to bed and woke up the next morning and the phone had no service, I pop the sim that came with the 6 in and the service was up immediately. Att makes note of the sim Id when they ship the phone and that is what they are going to activate, if you are upgrading and existing line they will deactivate the old sim on that line.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Its an ISSUE, I followed the instructions to activate, but was waiting a long time
For it to occur, so I put my 5s sim in the 6, everything worked fine even visual voice mail, ran a few test. I went to bed and woke up the next morning and the phone had no service, I pop the sim that came with the 6 in and the service was up immediately. Att makes note of the sim Id when they ship the phone and that is what they are going to activate, if you are upgrading and existing line they will deactivate the old sim on that line.

Which is why mine is working fine? The only reason yours stopped working is because you tried to activate the new sim before switching. That activation was already in queue.

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone know if the sim inside a tmobile phone will work, you need to order a NEW AT&T sim?

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah, dumb question on my part.

Better question: AT&T a lists the iPhone 5s sim on their website for order, is this a different sim than the 6?

If so, anyone know where we can get an extra 6 sim? Not sure if carriers will have extra 6 sims right away?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yeah, dumb question on my part.

Better question: AT&T a lists the iPhone 5s sim on their website for order, is this a different sim than the 6?

If so, anyone know where we can get an extra 6 sim? Not sure if carriers will have extra 6 sims right away?

It's the same sim. Only question is whether or not HD voice would be enabled without going through the whole activation process. I think you can probably just call and ask them to add it to your account when the feature rolls out.

The 5S and 6 SIMs look physically the same, which is usually not case when they roll out a sim for a new technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.