Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So, how big would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
At my current rate, with an 8000GB brain, I could remember about 1,610,762 songs...

Leaving room for system files and language support for traveling through Europe, that's still over 1,000,000 songs.

I'll have to go with none of the above :cool:

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
It is basically asking you how good is your memory.

8000GB=Not so good
9000GB=Average
10000Gb=Great!

thevessels

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
yeah this is super weird .
its like asking , 80, 90 , 100 ... which isnt a very broad scale ..

im gonna say 250Gb .... just sounds right to me .

srsly we're nerds

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
I recall reading somewhere that over the course of a lifetime, an average human accumulates 500 Petabytes of memories and experiences, but that there seemed to be no upper limit to what can be learned....but I'm not sure how they came up with that number, which is 50,000 times larger than the biggest poll option number

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
tpjunkie said:
I recall reading somewhere that over the course of a lifetime, an average human accumulates 500 Petabytes of memories and experiences, but that there seemed to be no upper limit to what can be learned....but I'm not sure how they came up with that number, which is 50,000 times larger than the biggest poll option number

Wow, interesting fact tpjunkie. Glad that I went for option #3. :)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
realityisterror said:
At my current rate, with an 8000GB brain, I could remember about 1,610,762 songs...

Leaving room for system files and language support for traveling through Europe, that's still over 1,000,000 songs.

I'll have to go with none of the above :cool:

I had my extra languages uninstalled so more space could be freed for... umm i forget..

I wonder if this is some sort of phallus thing and we are all missing the point here....

Ed

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
The human brain consists of about 100 billion nerve cells or neurons that are interconnected. Each neuron can be active by producing an action potential, and it's surmised that two individual nuerons can hold a "memory". The upper limit is unknown, but certainly individual thoughts and other processes don't bleed over into adjoining areas that are responsible for a specific task. So you have then what's called a course-grained neural network.
So do the math... From 2 connections to 100 billion, with 5 or 6 major areas.
I doubt my Mac can compute the upper limit.
As for me, I'm content with my USB-drive sized mini-brain. I can bathe and feed myself, but after that all actions are controlled by the legacy reptilian node.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mad jew said:
Mine's always 20GB too small. :eek:

Come now, don't be so hard on yourself- I am sure that you have plenty of storage space left in your brain mad jew. Unless of course you pack such a plethora of knowledge that you have filled up your brain already! ;) :D

jsw123 said:
i downloaded boot camp and got a partition
750tb/500tb

Please don't tell me that you installed Windows on your brain! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
dmw007 said:
Come now, don't be so hard on yourself- I am sure that you have plenty of storage space left in your brain mad jew. Unless of course you pack such a plethora of knowledge that you have filled up your brain already! ;) :D

Please don't tell me that you installed Windows on your brain! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Your brain has performed an illegal operation and has been shut down, press control alt delete to restart"

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Les Kern said:
The human brain consists of about 100 billion nerve cells or neurons that are interconnected. Each neuron can be active by producing an action potential, and it's surmised that two individual nuerons can hold a "memory". The upper limit is unknown, but certainly individual thoughts and other processes don't bleed over into adjoining areas that are responsible for a specific task. So you have then what's called a course-grained neural network.
So do the math... From 2 connections to 100 billion, with 5 or 6 major areas.
I doubt my Mac can compute the upper limit.

I feel like I just received a lecture from college. Did you just know that info off of the top of your head?! :eek: :)

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
i'm pretty sure if this poll had been done 10 years ago, we'd all be guessing our brain capacity in megabytes :rolleyes:

In the same fashion, 10 years from now we won't be measuring in gigabytes anymore, so it's all just relative.

My personal guess would be that a number couldn't quite sum up what we think, feel, and remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.