Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
[UPDATE] Apologies, I think I have traced my problem down to storage issues that are not MP2013 specific.

I recently acquired a second-hand MacPro 2013 (12 cores, D500, 512GB SSD) to replace my aging 6-core classic MacPro. I was not expecting a huge boost in performances (certainly not on the GPU side), just a few more years of trouble-free operations. My main app (besides general productivity apps) being Lightroom Classic, I was not expecting any major issue.

But, in fact, while everything else seems to run as expected, Lightroom Classic has become unusable on my machine: spinning wheel on most operations, several seconds to refresh the screen, exports taking forever...

I have optimized the catalog, reinstalled Lr, without any result. Enabling/disabling the GPU acceleration does not seem to make any difference either.

Is there any known issue with the MP2013, Lr Classic, Catalina combination?

I ran the system diagnostic which completed without error. Anything I should investigate apart from doing a clean system install?

Last edited:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
How much RAM do you have? I had a 6-core with D700's, 512GB SSD and 64GB RAM and it was 'okay' with LR. I had to turn off GPU support else it would frequently crash and this did drop the performance. Don't know if this is any better with newer versions of LR Classic. Overall however performance wasn't terrible, just not fantastic for a machine that cost me the best part of £4k.

If you only have the base 16GB RAM, I would upgrade it to at lease 32GB or 64 if you can afford it.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
32 GB but I'd be surprised if that was limiting Lr (24 and even 16 were fine on my cMP). RAM is cheap for these machines now so I'd not hesitate to upgrade it if it was the issue.

Lr Classic is really unusable on my MP6,1, it must be a s/w or h/w compatibility issue... I just tested Lr (non Classic) and Photoshop and they both work fine (with GPU support activated).

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Actually, upon further investigation, issue may be storage-related which would be good news (and not MacPro specific). Any way to delete the thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.