Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
beatzfreak said:
Skimmed thru both pages of this thread, so forgive me if this question has been answered.

Is iweb only for use with a .mac account?

Thanks
No you can export it to your hard drive and FTP to where you want to host it.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Eidorian said:
No you can export it to your hard drive and FTP to where you want to host it.

I'm guessing you'd have to do a lot of uploading to the point of insanity if you didn't have the .Mac account, right? I'm thinking of buying a .Mac account for the convenience and not having to tinker with any complex uploading...etc.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
otoloui said:
I'm guessing you'd have to do a lot of uploading to the point of insanity if you didn't have the .Mac account, right? I'm thinking of buying a .Mac account for the convenience and not having to tinker with any complex uploading...etc.

I think that's Apple's strategy. Make it so user-friendly and simple to use iWeb with a .mac account, that more people will start subscribing as opposed to dealing with the task of using an FTP and doing all the work on their own. That sneaky Steve Jobs... :cool:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Not in my hand

Why oh why does apple require a signature for UPS delivery of a software package? They've delivered an iPod and an eMac without signature required, yet they require it for a $70 piece of software? UPS has come by twice and missed me both times (obviously they wait around the corner waiting until I go out).

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Help. I want iLife 06. I could put it to good use. However, I am very poor. So here is my problem. I would like to update my os 10.3, iLife 04, Keynote 1, 12" powerbook G4 867. I have a .Mac account. I don't need to upgrade. But getting new software like iLife 06 would really be fun. I could use iWork 06 for my job. I make lots of presentations.

What software should I buy first? 10.4? iWork 06? iLife 06?

Or? Should I just buy a new iMac and sell the powerbook?

I am very confused. Maybe I should just sit back and do nothing. Should I try to pick up iWork 05 or iLife 05 for cheap?

I would appreciate any advice.

Also, I dig the new packaging.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Coca-Cola said:
Help. I want iLife 06. I could put it to good use. However, I am very poor. So here is my problem. I would like to update my os 10.3, iLife 04, Keynote 1, 12" powerbook G4 867. I have a .Mac account. I don't need to upgrade. But getting new software like iLife 06 would really be fun. I could use iWork 06 for my job. I make lots of presentations.

I am very confused. Maybe I should just sit back and do nothing. Should I try to pick up iWork 05 or iLife 05 for cheap?

OS X 10.4 > iLife '06 > iWork '06.

A new iMac would be pretty sweet too though, could you give up the portability? Could you afford the difference in price? You wouldn't get Keynote 3 with the new iMac, only a 30 day trial (bit odd seeing as Appleworks is now dead on the Intel machines - Apple used to tout being able to do everything out of the box, AW wasn't great but it was there, I'd like to see iWork go into all new Macs like iLife does) so you'd either have to stick with Keynote 1 or buy iWork separately.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Thanks for your reply. I think that process you have outlined is a good one. I am a college instructor, I can get a sweet discount on OS 10.4. My wife is going to kill me.

Portability isn't a factor with my machines. It is nice though. I still think this PowerBook is a fine machine.

Yeep, I think your update route is a good one. Thanks.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Wow!

I just updated to iLife 06 from 05. I have over 7,000 pictures in iPhoto and in 05 it was sluggish to load and scroll. In 06 is is superfast. :D

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
~Shard~ said:
I think that's Apple's strategy. Make it so user-friendly and simple to use iWeb with a .mac account, that more people will start subscribing as opposed to dealing with the task of using an FTP and doing all the work on their own. That sneaky Steve Jobs... :cool:
Plus, with out .mac, you lose some cool iWeb functionality. For example, it appears that the pretty slideshow only works on a .mac hosted site.

I'm using my .mac trial right now...trying to decide whether to give it a go, or to just continue laboriously uploading. What I need to figure out is if there's a way to only export pages that have been updated. For example, I'd like to mount the server, and then hit export—and have iWeb only export items that I've changed (as opposed to exporting and uploading the whole thing).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
stevietheb said:
Plus, with out .mac, you lose some cool iWeb functionality. For example, it appears that the pretty slideshow only works on a .mac hosted site.

I'm using my .mac trial right now...trying to decide whether to give it a go, or to just continue laboriously uploading. What I need to figure out is if there's a way to only export pages that have been updated. For example, I'd like to mount the server, and then hit export—and have iWeb only export items that I've changed (as opposed to exporting and uploading the whole thing).

Yeah, it does seem like iWeb and .mac are made for each other in that respect - once again, forcing the hand of non .mac subscribers who find out they really like iWeb. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, of course. ;)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Unable to Photocast Smart Albums

Anyone know why Apple wouldn't want you to photocast a Smart Album? I'd think this would be a perfect candidate for the 'automatic update' feature...

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Has anyone noticed the themes in iMovie yet?!???!? For a second I thought I was in iDVD, but no - there are themes in iMovie now and they are great. Best part is that they are inserted right into your DV sequence. :D And they are integrated very well with the themes in iDVD, too.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
~Shard~ said:
Yeah, it does seem like iWeb and .mac are made for each other in that respect - once again, forcing the hand of non .mac subscribers who find out they really like iWeb. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, of course. ;)

I do. I'm not changing my email address and have 2gb of storage all for $45 a year. I'm not going to be bullied into buying something I don't need.

Disabling features for people who don't subsribe to Apple's over priced service doesn't make me happy or want to rush out and buy iLife 06.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
kerpow said:
I do. I'm not changing my email address and have 2gb of storage all for $45 a year. I'm not going to be bullied into buying something I don't need.

Disabling features for people who don't subsribe to Apple's over priced service doesn't make me happy or want to rush out and buy iLife 06.

I was meaning more from Apple's perspective. ;) Regardless, from what I've heard so far, people are not having many issues at all when it comes to uploading from iWeb to non-.mac webistes, so I don't think Apple has "criplped" things too much. By no means do you need a .mac account, and by no means is iWeb useless without it.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
~Shard~ said:
I was meaning more from Apple's perspective. ;) Regardless, from what I've heard so far, people are not having many issues at all when it comes to uploading from iWeb to non-.mac webistes, so I don't think Apple has "criplped" things too much. By no means do you need a .mac account, and by no means is iWeb useless without it.

Fair enough.

I'm still in two minds. It looks nice and simple to use, but I think a little too simple. Has anyone used Rapidweaver? That seems a little more suited to my needs.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/index.php

Don't get me wrong, I think iWeb looks good and I'm sure I'll use iWeb 07 when I buy another Mac this time next year. But for now I'm not convinced. Its version 1.0 product now, after all. I'm sure it will mature.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Just ordered iLife '06 with a 10% discount! Can't wait to give it a go - my first ever copy of iLife.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
kerpow said:
Don't get me wrong, I think iWeb looks good and I'm sure I'll use iWeb 07 when I buy another Mac this time next year. But for now I'm not convinced. Its version 1.0 product now, after all. I'm sure it will mature.

Exactly, just like anything else, one should never expect the first version to be perfect. ;) I'll probably be getting iLife 07 as well with a new Mac sometime in 2007, so it'll be nice to see what Apple does in the way of improvements to the suite by then. :cool:

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Coca-Cola said:

I hate to break it to you, but anyone with a PowerBook and an iPod is *not* "very poor". If you were very poor, you would not have an internet connection. And you would be wondering which of your old clothing to replace, not software. Just a little perspective.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mattraehl said:
I hate to break it to you, but anyone with a PowerBook and an iPod is *not* "very poor". If you were very poor, you would not have an internet connection. And you would be wondering which of your old clothing to replace, not software. Just a little perspective.

Well said. Far too often people take for granted all that they have, and for some reason still feel hard done by. A bit of persepctive is definitely welcome. :cool:

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I work in downtown Chicago. The homeless dude begging for change who I pass every day when I walk to the gym, he actually qualifies for the "very poor" title. Powerbook, iPod, internet connection (probably not dial-up either) is most definitely not "very poor". Maybe not well off, but not POOR! Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
yoak said:
I used rapidweaver for my website, and they let you buy extra templates from other designers. I wonder if this will happen with iWeb?
I think it´s time to update my iLife4, just have to figure out how: Buy iLife6 or "save" some money and get a new iMac with it installed?:p

I am in a similar boat... RW is a key peice of software for me... do I really want to try and transition everything to iWeb? NO. iWeb doesnt have near the kind of funtionality that RW does.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
~Shard~ said:
Exactly, just like anything else, one should never expect the first version to be perfect. ;) I'll probably be getting iLife 07 as well with a new Mac sometime in 2007, so it'll be nice to see what Apple does in the way of improvements to the suite by then. :cool:

More I hope... this release of iLife seems to be very underwhelming... some minimal software updates and one new application of questionable use...

That didnt stop me from getting it anyway though, lol.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Sunrunner said:
More I hope... this release of iLife seems to be very underwhelming... some minimal software updates and one new application of questionable use...

That didnt stop me from getting it anyway though, lol.

I thought the updates to iPhoto were of some substance - they were the features I was looking for, and now I don't have to buy Aperture as a result, which would have been overkill for me. ;) Everything else though, yes, nothing major, I agree. iWeb does look solid, but I'd have to play with it myself. I think v2 will be far superior since they'll have addressed any bugs or shortcomings, and hopefully incorporated feedback from users as well.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i dunno.. im mixed on ilife 06'.. the new full screen edit mode in iphoto 6 is nice and im sure the new version of garageband, version 3.0, has some cool features.. but other than those two programs.. i really don't see myself using the other stuff like imovie and idvd.. well MAYBE imovie for making burnable quicktime slideshows for people to watch.. but then again that has been around since version 4.. we'll see:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.