Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly6734

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2007
I know, and I thought that is just silly in the part of Microsoft. That is why I just bought the WindowXP. It is painful enough to shell out $210.00 for the Window XP; I cannot image anyone would pay $400.00 for the high end Vista that Microsoft wants you to buy. For $400.00 you can buy a low end PC laptop at Best Buy.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
no biggie

This limitation doesn't actually shock me or anything. MS does not want its OS taking a secondary role on people's computers. It looks that simple to me.

Apple inc. does the same by not allowing OS X to run in virtual machines. It's really not attractive for any company to have its products made less relevant by hiding them in some server for virtual appliances. Can't blame these companies for wanting their products to be getting the most attention from users.

If you are managing a big pool of servers, you'll probably be using XP Pro or the server varieties anyway, there's no change in there. If you're a home user and want to run Windows in the background of your Linux or Mac box, MS is not in a real hurry to help you and make that operation unexpensive.
The next day you might realise that running an illegal copy of Windows kept away in your NAS and getting there with remote desktop was good enough, and since it's all virtual and invisible, there would be no pressure on the user to go to a shop and get a legal license for Windows.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Really it doesn't effect you, i mean theres nothing from stopping you from installing home basic in parallels, and there was a walk through on macwolrd.com a while back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.