Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
protectivecover.jpg

Review: Incase Protective Cover
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/incase-protective-cover-for-ipad

gripcover.jpg

Review: Incase Grip Protective Cover
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/incase-grip-protective-cover-for-ipad

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
Definitely pricey at $40.00

There are similar covers on the market for as low as $8.00

I'm hope the material and quality by Incase reflects in the high price!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Definitely pricey at $40.00

There are similar covers on the market for as low as $8.00

I'm hope the material and quality by Incase reflects in the high price!

Where are you seeing the similar at $8? I ask cuz at that price I'd try one..that said the more I use the device the more I appreciate the apple case design although it's too expensive, should be $20 and realistically they should have included it given the profit margin.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the link. I looked on the lounge for the incase reviews today before heading to the apple store. After looking at them in person they add to much bulk for me so I just went with the Apple case. I have always loved incase though and I'm sure they will release an iPad case I like at some point.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Based on my experience with ipod silicone cases, the cheap silicone cases are paper thin and fit somewhat loosely. The expensive cases are made of a higher grade silicone and offer better protection due to their thickness. I'd be wary of anything too cheap.

to be sure $40 is a lot for that incase product but what else do you expect from incase?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Those are not reviews. Anyway I tried all of Incase's products on an iPad today, the silicone cases are flimsy and when you place your fingers on the bezel the sides of the case would chime off, it doesn't add any grip what so ever. Waste of money IMO.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
The retailer here on Maui can not order the Protective Cover for whatever reason.

So if I want it I gotta pay $30.00 UPS shipping to Maui.

And this applies to other iPad accessories I want.

I called Incase and they will not budge by shipping it for $5.00 USPS.

$70.00 for a friggin case that probably costs $3.00 in materials :mad:

Talk about getting spanked

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
the silicone cases are flimsy and when you place your fingers on the bezel the sides of the case would chime off

What do you mean by chime off?

You mean like easily bend or flip back?

Also others have said the Protective Cover adds too much bulk.

Did you find this to be your experience?

The case looks thin in the pictures to me.

Thanx

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
What do you mean by chime off?

You mean like easily bend or flip back?

Also others have said the Protective Cover adds too much bulk.

Did you find this to be your experience?

The case looks thin in the pictures to me.

Thanx

Sorry yes it bends off the bezel, and the protective cover is very heavy and does add some bulk.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
What a ripoff

To me, all these cases are somewhat of a rip-off, but I also think the iPad cases point out the even worse rip-off....which are iPhone cases. Some of these iPad cases are $40 plus dollars, but the iPhone cases from the same companies (made from the exact same materials in most cases) reach or exceed $30 dollars in most cases. iPhone cases are within $10-$12 dollars of iPad cases, yet are made up of at best 1/5th of the material? Seems outrageous to me. Yet we all still buy them.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Its pretty naive thinking to say that the retail price should be almost equal to the cost of materials.

Sure the materials are cheap.. how about the cost of designing/manufacturing and the equipment that goes along with it. Not to mention the cost of the payroll/health care for the employees.

It always bothers me when I see cheap asses flocking to Apple products. There are much cheaper alternatives... Dell has full laptops starting at $299 for these folks.

:D

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Its pretty naive thinking to say that the retail price should be almost equal to the cost of materials.

Sure the materials are cheap.. how about the cost of designing/manufacturing and the equipment that goes along with it. Not to mention the cost of the payroll/health care for the employees.

It always bothers me when I see cheap asses flocking to Apple products. There are much cheaper alternatives... Dell has full laptops starting at $299 for these folks.

Who says anyone here is naive? I run a business, so I understand all the costs involved with delivering a product outside of just material costs. I'm talking about the huge markup on these things, which I pretty much know is there as it can't cost all that much to "design" these products, as I know what the wholesale cost of a lot of these items. It's similar things like the screen protectors that some companies charge $8 each for, while others sell the same thing made from the same materials for less than $2 each. Same as the "Bodyguardz" type of protectors. It doesn't cost a lot at all to have something made from a mould overseas, when you have the dimensions of the item it's being designed to fit. My dad was in this business for 30+ years and they would have runs of metal parts as small as 100 units cast/machined overseas for often less than $3 per part. Just kinda crazy what some of the markup is on these accessories.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
I understand your point. For you the $7.84 cover is just as good as the $40 incase cover.. so go with that one. And these ipads only cost $260 in materials to make.. Why can't Apple just sell them for $300 right now like all the other net books? They are just as good right? Anyway accessories have always been high margin items. And sure I would love to buy everything with a 3% markup. Sounds good to me.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I understand your point. For you the $7.84 cover is just as good as the $40 incase cover.. so go with that one. And these ipads only cost $260 in materials to make.. Why can't Apple just sell them for $300 right now like all the other net books? They are just as good right? Anyway accessories have always been high margin items. And sure I would love to buy everything with a 3% markup. Sounds good to me.

Oh lord....nevermind.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
For $40, I'd rather go (and I did) with Apple's case. It's sturdier and is made of microfiber and rubber, not some cheap silicone. Plus, the Apple case has a stand function, which props my iPad up in two different ways/angles. Plus, it's Apple's product which assures me it's made from quality materials and well-designed.

There's always a markup. iPad cases are bigger but not big enough to justify the extra $10-$15. Either way, I'd rather pay the extra markup than to have my Steve Wozniak signed iPad scuffed up.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

True but they still manage to make millions in profit so i wouldn't worry about those companies..

poblack

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
I bought the incase grip protection (silicon with grips on the bottom) today at the Apple store. I love it. Coming from somebody who always shop the best deal, I chose value over price. The incase is no cheap flemsey piece of crap like those $8.00 Internet cases. There is a difference. $40 is pricey but if you can buy an Ipad, $40 is not going to kill you. I love the way it feels in my hands.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Review is for yourself, go to an Apple store and ask to try it out if you don't have an iPad with you, they will bring you a demo unit and try it on..
I didn't like them.

Gee thanks, everyone already knows they can go to the store if they want to :rolleyes:

That has nothing to do with those links being mislabeled as reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.