Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andromedaan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
My signature is right-side up. It's the whole forum that's upside down. :D

It says: "want to find answers before you ask the questions? try MRoogle"

Heheh okay that really helped me out man, thanks.. Allright peoples.. it's been fun, i'm out!

Tom71

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
You must be kidding if you really wanted to read the sig but can't because it's upside down. Did you even try? I'm pretty sure you can if you try hard.

Tom

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
wow this isnt a complicated things READ apple site and numerous other posts..I dont have a laptop and I know how to do this...Calibrating does not affect battery life it helps the COMPUTER indicator be a little more accurate so its a better gauge. Alright and if you need to USE your entire battery everyday then go for it. Its a tool (laptop) to get your job done and therefore worry about your work more then your tools. Im saying yes you should take care of this beautifully created machine of yours but not to the point that you do not use it to its bought purpose. Like having a Ferrari and never driving it. This is so true I know individuals who own expensive cars and such and barely use it because they are afraid of natural wear...what I say is...you bought it to use it so use it to the extent you want to but do not do anything stupid like sit on it or use it as a cup holder, ect...just use it for what its designed and hey if you need a new battery a little sooner (due to heat degradation) then so be it at least you used your laptop more then the other guy with a 1000 cycles running at 50% max or something.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
This thread helped me, thanks.
I was unclear if it was bad to use use an entire charge once a day (school)

I have question though (sorry if I'm threadstealing:rolleyes:)
Does MBP switch to battery use when the MagSafe turns green ?

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
This thread helped me, thanks.
I was unclear if it was bad to use use an entire charge once a day (school)

I have question though (sorry if I'm threadstealing:rolleyes:)
Don't know about the latest MacBook Pros, but mine (March 2006) continues to use the power adapter source. Maybe that's how my Energy Saver preferences are set. Look in yours.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
Don't know about the latest MacBook Pros, but mine (March 2006) continues to use the power adapter source. Maybe that's how my Energy Saver preferences are set. Look in yours.

Doesn't say anything about that. It, only the settings between on battery and charger.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJstudios,
I would like to thank you for all your posts and links! Thank you!! I've learnt so much from them!! You're officially a Battery God!! ;)

Much appreciated, mate!!
I'm glad my posts were helpful, but I'm hardly a "Battery God". I just know how to search and read. I use MRoogle to search this forum and very quickly find answers that have already been posted, and I use Google (just add "site:apple.com" or "site:support.apple.com" to the end of any search) to search the Apple site for the other links I post from there. Everyone in this forum can do the same thing and accelerate your learning about Mac OS X and Apple hardware. I have over 7,000 posts in the forum, but I've only started 28 threads. That's because it's rare to have a question that you can't find answers for in existing threads.

Again, I'm glad I could help, and I hope this helps, as well.

No, it still runs on A/C power, but it just stops charging once it turns green. It won't overcharge your battery.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I have a question...

At what percent does the batter count a cycle? In other words, i would rather run the battery down to 10% then charge it back to 100% and count 1 cycle rather than run it down to 60% and count it as a cycle

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a question...

At what percent does the batter count a cycle? In other words, i would rather run the battery down to 10% then charge it back to 100% and count 1 cycle rather than run it down to 60% and count it as a cycle
Read post #23 in this thread.

Pavia

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
No, it still runs on A/C power, but it just stops charging once it turns green. It won't overcharge your battery.

Thank you :] I've been very careful with it so far, as I need the battery to work for as long as possible. (school school school)

thanks. Good to know i dont use a full cycle if i run it down to 60% and recharge!

Isn't it better to use a full charge, than to use 40% of the battery, and then recharge it ?
Or did I completely misunderstand everything?

Garrus

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Isn't it better to use a full charge, than to use 40% of the battery, and then recharge it ?
Or did I completely misunderstand everything?

Actually you should never go under 10% charge as it "damage" the battery...
And lithium battery will take each % as a % of a cycle nothing to worry... ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you :]d
Isn't it better to use a full charge, than to use 40% of the battery, and then recharge it?
No, just use it however you need and plug it in when you can. If you only need 40%, intentionally draining it all the way puts unnecessary cycles on your battery.
Actually you should never go under 10% charge as it "damage" the battery...
That is complete nonsense! Stop posting this misinformation in multiple threads! If that were true, Apple would never recommend calibrating, which drains the battery completely. It will NOT damage a battery to drain it below 10%.

col sandurz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
No, just use it however you need and plug it in when you can. If you only need 40%, intentionally draining it all the way puts unnecessary cycles on your battery.

This kind of statement confuses me, given the other information on the thread. Why would any use put unnecessary cylces on the battery. As far as I have read, a cycle constitues one use of the full capacity of the battery, regardless of when the capacity is used. I can use my computer in two ways:

1. I use the computer for 3 hours, draining it to 50% and then plug it in. I then use it for another 3 hours as it's recharging. The next day I use it for 3 hours on the battery. Once again its at 50%. Bam, one cycle.

2. I use the computer for 6 hours on the first day on the battery. When it gets down to 5%, at about 5:50, I plug it in to recharge. The next day I use it for 3 hours while leaving it plugged in. One cycle used.

How are these two scenarios different? I suppose if I attempted to always use it on the battery, unless it was charging, I could go through cycles faster (i.e. same as scenario 2 but use on the battery the next day?)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This kind of statement confuses me, given the other information on the thread.

As I said, if you only use 40%, then recharge it, you haven't used a complete cycle. If you intentionally drain it all the way, when you only needed to drain it 40%, you have added a cycle when you didn't need to.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
A cycle consists of charging the battery 100%'s, doesn't matter if you only use 10% and charge it 10 times or use it once to 0% and charge it full. You should also not leave your batter on a charger at 100% for an extended period of time.

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
As I said, if you only use 40%, then recharge it, you haven't used a complete cycle. If you intentionally drain it all the way, when you only needed to drain it 40%, you have added a cycle when you didn't need to.

I think the confusion might come because Apple has changed the way it defines a "cycle". IIRC it used to define a cycle as one full discharge of the battery ie from 100% right down to 0%. In that case GGJStudios is right.

But in the last couple of years (I think?) Apple has changed the definition to the diagram & text on this page http://www.apple.com/batteries/ where it seems a cycle is taking one capacity's worth out of the battery, regardless of how many times you plug into the charger between times. In that case I think col sandurz is right.

I think the change in definition happened since 2006, I'm pretty sure my 2006 MB defines cycle in the old way, while my 2009 MBP defines it in the new way.

Based on the new definition you're stuffed any way you use the battery. For my ~5000 mAhr battery, every mAhr I take out of it is 1/5000th of a cycle, regardless of what tricks I play with recharging.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think the confusion might come because Apple has changed the way it defines a "cycle".
As I posted earlier:

WHAT IS A CYCLE?

Determining Battery Cycle Count
A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could use your notebook for an hour or more one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle.
So a cycle could be draining the battery all the way and recharging, or draining/recharging it 25% four times, or draining/recharging 10% ten times, etc.​
Therefore, my statement is correct. If you drain 40% of a battery's capacity, leaving it with only 60% charge remaining, then you recharge the battery, you have not used a complete cycle.

glavoie84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
A lot of misinformation here...

Draining the battery to 0% WILL NOT DAMAGE it!

The truth is, draining a Li-Ion under 3V (under load) WILL DAMAGE it. Do it once and you can lose permanently as much as half the battery capacity. I've experienced it with loose cells.

With a laptop battery pack, this is a non-issue. There is electronic present to protect against overcharge and against overdischarge. More than that, most overdischarge protection consider 0% to be way over 3V to protect against imbalance between cells in the battery pack. I think I've seen 3.6V but I never checked with my MacBook. I'll be back on this when I finish discharging it.

The worse thing for laptop battery pack is heat. Lithium batteries permanently lose capacity much faster in a hot environment and a notebook will often run hotter when plugged.

In my experience, I've seen more batteries die faster from not being used than from being used. At the price it cost to replace them, it's better to use them when you need it, even if it means cycling it once or more a day. No batteries are made equal and it's also a matter of luck for it to die quickly or to last for years. I've seen in this forum people posting screenshots of coconutBattery with over 900 cycles in less than 3 years with capacity over 90%. When I had a ThinkPad, I always ran it plugged most of the time and my battery went under 80% with less than 100 cycles in under 2 years then quickly under 50% before it got to its 3th year...

col sandurz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Therefore, my statement is correct. If you drain 40% of a battery's capacity, leaving it with only 60% charge remaining, then you recharge the battery, you have not used a complete cycle.

I was not saying you were incorrect. My question is, is there any point to basically plugging the laptop in after every time you use it, regardless of the amount used (i.e. 40%)? It would seem the answer is no, becuase if you don't use the full capacity now you will use it later. From my understanding and what has been said here, if you use a laptop down to 60% every day of the week and charge at night, you will still have used about 3 cycles (40% used X 7 = 280%). Your statement seemed to imply that by not reaching 0% you would never use a cycle.

Now, it would also seem that the charge every night use might use more cycles if you are not savy about it. Why, well if you are comfortable draining the battery in use and then plugging it in, the time your are using during recharge is the second half of the cycle and not "wasted" at night. Using my example above, the person would start the recharge about halfway during the third day. The computer would probably fully recharge during the second half of the third day; so, one cycle (100%) would be used in 3 days. Then the same would repeat over the next 3 days (now 200% total use). The final day they would use the same 40%. Total use for the week would be 240% rather than 280%, closer to 2 cycles.

The worse thing for laptop battery pack is heat. Lithium batteries permanently lose capacity much faster in a hot environment and a notebook will often run hotter when plugged.

In my experience, I've seen more batteries die faster from not being used than from being used. At the price it cost to replace them, it's better to use them when you need it, even if it means cycling it once or more a day.

This has been my experience with rechargables. So, I tend to use my laptop down to near full disharge and then plug it in. My current laptop, a 12" iBook G4, maintained about 3½ hours per charge since I got in in 2004, up until early this year. Now it discharges in about an hour to 1½ hours. But, after 6 years, I can accept the battery is dead and will replace it soon. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your statement seemed to imply that by not reaching 0% you would never use a cycle.
No, it didn't imply that at all. It only means what I said, that if you drain 40% of its capacity and recharge it, you have not used a complete cycle. That doesn't in any way imply that if you do that repeatedly, that you wouldn't use any cycles.

If you use 25% every day and recharge every day, you will go through one complete cycle in 4 days. If you use 25% every day, but don't recharge each day, you will still use a complete cycle in 4 days. The advantage to recharging after each use is that you have a fully charged battery when you need it.

My original point is that if you only need to use 25% per day, but drain it all the way to zero each day anyway, you are using 4 cycles in 4 days, rather than one. You have put 3 extra cycles on your battery unnecessarily.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
As I posted earlier:

Yes, but, you're making it seem by your statement that never reaching 0% will mean you have not used a cycle. I think we've all cleared up the confusion.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, but, you're making it seem by your statement that never reaching 0% will mean you have not used a cycle. I think we've all cleared up the confusion.

As I said, my statement never implied that. If you start with a fully charged battery and drain it 40%, whether you recharge it or not, you haven't used a cycle. If you never use the battery again, you will have never used a cycle, but I never said or implied that anyone would stop using it. Anyone who thinks that simply misread my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.