Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hey, I'm new to photograpgy. I am headed on vacation and need to know what sort of things a photographer would look for in a tropical and city environment. All hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

--Aaron Lee

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Your best bet is to go to the bookstore and browse their travel section. I don't know where you're going, but it's best to browse that section. You should just take your camera, know your camera, and shoot everything. It's kind of a nice way to really survey what worked and what didn't. The first time I ever traveled with my camera I shot over 20 rolls of film. I shot EVERYTHING! I came home after three days and checked out all of my photos and discovered that there were some really great ones in there. I ended up going back about 4 months later and reshooting some of the spots that I shot previously.

No one can really tell you what to be on the lookout for, especially since you weren't very open with your location.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'd just really not like to say where I am heading but thanks for the tips. I got a great hotel spot which should be perfect from our floor. Great view of everything. I am using one of those digital cameras from one of those electronics stores:) I'll get a better one after I buy my MacBook Pro this summer.

Anyone else got any tips for me? Beaches? Busy city spots, quiet city spots? boats? Animals + Nature?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
aaron.lee2006 said:
I'd just really not like to say where I am heading but thanks for the tips. I got a great hotel spot which should be perfect from our floor. Great view of everything. I am using one of those digital cameras from one of those electronics stores:)

That's the most jibba-jabba I've heard since Mr T.

So you can't even tell us where you're going, and you got one of those digital cameras from one of those electronics store. An electronic store as opposed to what? Not trying to pry, but obviously you're a very private person, and it's hard to tell you where to go if you can't even tell us where you're going? The place you're going to has beaches and a city, from what we know. I don't know what to shoot because......well.....this covers a large range of things, doesn't it, especially when it's so general. However, if you're going to Sydney, which has a beach and is a big city, I could tell you specific places to get great photos.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
aaron.lee2006 said:
Hey, I'm new to photograpgy. I am headed on vacation and need to know what sort of things a photographer would look for in a tropical and city environment. All hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

--Aaron Lee

Details, people, stuff up close. Use you feet not a long lens. Think in terms of "story telling".
Static shots have to be _very_ good to by interresting, shoots of "stuff happening" are always interesting.

Read a little about some rules of composition, if nothing else "The rule of thirds"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.