Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I got forwarded a funny mail and I redirected it to a whole bunch of friends, family and peers. I changed the title. When it sent the mail it sent it with the title I wrote and then it automatically amended (Modified by Josh Lastname). And it did it without any warning or even notification of any kind! That's F*CKING BULL S*IT! What the f*ck! I thought apple was better than that type of cr*p. Whatever.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, that is the behaviour when you redirect after making a modification... :rolleyes:

I think you're better off with forwarding your funny mails... that doesn't add anything (except a FWD: at the start of the title...)

stoid

macrumors 601
I must say, that's very odd, nothing like that has ever happened to me nor have I ever heard anything like this before. I'm not sure I'm clear, but it amended this to the subject line of the forward. While odd, I don't think that this discloses any information that the recipient wouldn't already know. Unless you are forwarding to a bunch of people that you don't know of course. Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the time the email will show your name in the From tag along with your email address.

Also, if you are truly as angry as your post sounds, you should really calm down and get a grip on life and regain some perspective. It's not the end of the world, and it's not worth breaking things or killing people, which is what it sounds like you are on the verge of doing.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
motulist said:
I got forwarded a funny mail and I redirected it to a whole bunch of friends...
That's the point of redirecting, it implies the mail was sent without changes since the original sender is shown prominently.

Since you modified the message, it needed to mention that. If you wanted to make changes, you should have just forwarded it.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
stoid said:
I'm not sure I'm clear, but it amended this to the subject line of the forward.
Forwarding and redirecting is not the same (look at attached image)

When you're forwarding a mail you will stand as sender and the previous contents will (normally) get an extra quote level, and an FWD is added to the subject...

When you redirect, the original contents will not increase its quote level, and the the original sender will (also for your recipients) appear to be the sender (though with anther header telling it was redirected by you). BUT, if you modify the message before redirecting it will add "(Modified by Your Name)" to the subject...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 555

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
The main thing I'm upset about is that the program had the audacity to change the content of my message without even informing me about it! If you reply to a mail, before you even type a single letter, the title of the message is shown as "re: title". At that point you can choose to delete the "re" and send it so the title reads as whatever you wish. If you forward, it's the same thing, the title reads "fwd: title" and then you know how it will show to others and again, you can take out "fwd" if you wish. The whole reason why I really like Apple products, and I do, is that they make everything very obvious and puts us, the users, in control. To make a significant alteration to my content, not even inform me about it visually before it sends it, and never giving me a chance to change it if I wish is very Windows behavior. And that is why I am so upset.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
EDIT:

This is a fairly common practice, as far as I've seen, amongst email clients when you change the body of a redirected email.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Right/ctrl-click in the toolbar and choose Customize Toolbar...

Hehe, AKA, Shft-Cmd-E? :)

I meant, my version of Mail.app doesn't add the text the OP saw when forwarded, which is when I realized that he redirected, not forwarded.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
That's just simply the difference between forwarding and redirecting. With forwarding, you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you're redirecting, you're supposedly sending out a message verbatim, hence redirecting it - if you modify it, then you're not really redirecting it, and the program will note that you made changes to it so that people are aware that the content is not exactly the same as when you received it. Just use forward from now on like everyone else. :p And plus, it's just for a joke e-mail, nothing important or business-related, so what's the big deal? ;) :cool:

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Very cool threat. I have just added this feature to the menu bar, now I don't need to remove all these "<" when I'm forwarding a mail to some other account of my own. It really gets annoying. Of course, I would like to thank Apple for automatically appending this "Modified"-line, or else I might never have known about this feature!

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Redirecting implies you did not modify it.
Hence, if you modify it, the person is not getting what the headers would indicate, so it has to inform the other person of that.
Basic security and common courtesy.

You, my friend, are in need of help.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
yellow said:
I meant, my version of Mail.app doesn't add the text the OP saw when forwarded, which is when I realized that he redirected, not forwarded.

So, do people re-direct? If so, is there something for which this is really good? I guess I've had e-mail since I was...hmm...about 13 or 14 years old? Which was a long time ago. And I don't remember one instance when I've ever re-directed an e-mail.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I will reiterate. What I love about apple products is they are intuitive and they work exactly like you expect them to. When I write a title in an email I expect it to show up exactly how I see it in the tile field. Anything different from that is a violation of my user rights. Simple as that.

p.s. Even if it didn't allow me to change the modification, I would be fine with that, so long as I know what is happening. Sure in this case it was no big deal, but it could have been a very, very big deal and is a HUGE security breach. What if I had been sending a very important redirect and I didn't want my full name on it. That could have been extremely dangerous! To me this is a genuine security flaw and needs to be addressed immediately.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
motulist said:
Even if it didn't allow me to change the modification, I would be fine with that, so long as I know what is happening.

I think this is a good point -- that the change should be WYSIWYG before you send. However, wouldn't it be a huger security flaw, were you able to use redirect to send modified versions of other people's messages that insinuate that they are not modified?

Meh...you're using redirect for the wrong thing. You want to be forwarding. There're really very few good reasons to use redirect. Very few other people who are computer savvy (or who aren't) use redirect. Wouldn't it be best to just delete it off your toolbar and move on with your life.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
mkrishnan said:
Wouldn't it be best to just delete it off your toolbar and move on with your life.

after reading through this thread i have to say i agree with the original poster. there is no excuse for adding the full name of a user to an e-mail without asking first. regardless whatever I click.

advising "to move on with your live" isn't very helpful with this problem.

apple seems to be very relaxed in this regard. e.g. when i send e-mails apple displays and sends full names that it gets from my adress book. i don't like that. the reason why people select stupid e-mail nicks is to hide their real name.

yet when i manually type e-mail adresses mail fetches the real names from the adress book. also the autofill function in safari puts my adress/phone number in web forms. i could easily overlook that and send it out. is there a way to block that?

andi

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
andiwm2003 said:
after reading through this thread i have to say i agree with the original poster. there is no excuse for adding the full name of a user to an e-mail without asking first. regardless whatever I click.
When you modify the message and redirect it has to make it clear to the receiver that you have modified it...
andiwm2003 said:
apple seems to be very relaxed in this regard. e.g. when i send e-mails apple displays and sends full names that it gets from my adress book. i don't like that. the reason why people select stupid e-mail nicks is to hide their real name.
I think it gets the name from the Full Name field in Mail's account settings... try changing that if you're
andiwm2003 said:
also the autofill function in safari puts my adress/phone number in web forms. i could easily overlook that and send it out. is there a way to block that?
Try unchecking the options in Safari Preferences -> Autofill...

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
When you modify the message and redirect it has to make it clear to the receiver that you have modified it...
I think it gets the name from the Full Name field in Mail's account settings... try changing that if you're Try unchecking the options in Safari Preferences -> Autofill...

thanks.
unfortunately i'm chained to a windblows machine at work so i'll try when i'm home.

andi

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
This thread is a joke. The original poster is mad at a tool he does not know how to use properly. Redirect is working correctly and he is mad at that? All the things being complained about are exactly how Redirect works, properly and correctly, even placing the name. If that is not what you want or expect, then do not use Redirect. Don't use a hammer to drive a screw or tighten a bolt. Use the appropriate tool.

there is no excuse for adding the full name of a user to an e-mail without asking first.
It does ask, in your preferences.

There is no breach of security, no security flaw, and no violation of user rights (how dramatic of you!).

Mail and Safari use whatever name and information you have placed in the preferences. Same with the complaints about Safari. Those things are set by the user and are all controllable in the preferences.

Learn to use your tools (software programs) properly before complaining so dramatically (and wrongly) in a public forum.

I am off to the Carpentry forum to read complaints about hammers not sawing wood properly.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
mkrishnan said:
So, do people re-direct? If so, is there something for which this is really good? I guess I've had e-mail since I was...hmm...about 13 or 14 years old? Which was a long time ago. And I don't remember one instance when I've ever re-directed an e-mail.

Yes. It also depends on what you do for a living on whether redirect is useful to you. Of course, it might have been useful and you just never used it, since forward works as well?

We maintain an "allusers" list so we can send emails to (wait for it..) all users. Naturally we don't let just anyone use this list, it's only valid from a few of us admins. Hence, anything that should (legitimately) go to "allusers" gets redirected once it's emailed to us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.