Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
Hi, i have a 5GB ipod, 1st Gen, i hate the size. I am thinking of selling it or trading it for the new flashed based one. I really do not know what i should do. Please help me out.

macaddictann

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
Heh, if you're willing to sell it at a Shuffle price, maybe we can talk. ;) My only really solid reason for wanting a Shuffle over any other iPod is the price.

I don't know about trades, but eBay is a pretty standard selling tool for things like this.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
What is so bad about the 5gb iPod's size? Are you trying to use it when jogging or something?

You need to figure out how you currently use your iPod. If you don't navigate playlists or thru genres then the Shuffle may work for you. You also have to look at the size of your library.

In my opinion you are losing a lot--4gb of space, extras like contacts/calendar, navigation and control. The only thing you are gaining is a smaller device.

Only you know if it is the right way to go.

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Don't do it!

Dude, you got one of the first 100,000 or so iPods ever sold. Jobs just showed us the 10 millionth! I am in the same boat as you, but I decided to just RETIRE the old banged up beauty while it still works and get a Shuffle since that is exactly how I use my iPod anyway, and don't mind refilling it every so often. I would just save up the money, you never know how these may be coveted in the far future.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I find that while I listen to my songs on random constantly, I also skip songs a lot. So I'd end up probably skipping 1/3 of the 120 songs I could put on a shufflePod for the $99, leaving me only 80 songs....not even an hour and a half of music.

That's the one thing about the iPod shuffle that's a deal-killer for me. Not the lack of a screen; the limitations on how much music I could carry with me.

If that doesn't matter to you, and you don't care about the screen, then go for the shufflePod. If you think you'll need more than a couple hours' music at a stretch, you're better off with even 5 GB.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
rueyeet said:
I find that while I listen to my songs on random constantly, I also skip songs a lot. So I'd end up probably skipping 1/3 of the 120 songs I could put on a shufflePod for the $99, leaving me only 80 songs....not even an hour and a half of music..

Holy Shuffling Squirrel Monkeys! 80 songs should give you a whole lot more listening than an hour an a half. Even at 3 minutes per song that's 4 hours of music. Enough to finish a marathon for some people.

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
Inkmonkey said:
Holy Shuffling Squirrel Monkeys! 80 songs should give you a whole lot more listening than an hour an a half. Even at 3 minutes per song that's 4 hours of music. Enough to finish a marathon for some people.

wow, that's about three and a half albums out of the 400 that i own. no thanks, Steve.

like your sig says, "Everybody needs a gimmick..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.